Outbuilding Questions

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I will be moving to a "country setting" this year. My dream place is a small house with a large detached garage. My hobbies include blacksmithing/welding, woodworking and vehicle maintenance. I need about 3 generous stalls with overhead doors for access, lighting and ventilation. I don't plan to install a vehicle lift; my work can be done with ramps or a hydraulic jack and safety stands. A strong back for the potential to safely use a chainfall to pull an engine would be nice but not necessary. A wood frame building is fine, I would apply concrete backer board or fire rated sheetrock with taped and mudded joints in the vicinity of any hot work. I will ensure the building gets 100 amp 240 service. I also have the abilty to apply my own siding, shingles and interior wiring (to code), so a "weathered in" shell with a concrete floor wouldbe fine. (I did concrete work in my 20's and didn't like it, I'm not doing more than a pad for an AC unit or backup generator these days!). I am in southeast Virginia. Any suggestions or builder recommendations are welcome.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are going to set up a welder and future equment I would think you would want more then a 100 amp service.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
My "go to" machine is a 210 amp MIG welder that draws about 23 amps from the line wide open. My back up is a 235 ampAC/160 amp DC stick welder that supposedly draws 49.5 amps wide open but I've run it since I've had it on a 30 amp dryer circuit (I use 1/8 rods at about 120 amps DC). I joke about putting a 200 amp entrance service on a garage with a 100 amp drop to the house, but in reality, I think I'll be fine with 100 amps. It's a hobby, so I'm not on the clock.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My "go to" machine is a 210 amp MIG welder that draws about 23 amps from the line wide open. My back up is a 235 ampAC/160 amp DC stick welder that supposedly draws 49.5 amps wide open but I've run it since I've had it on a 30 amp dryer circuit (I use 1/8 rods at about 120 amps DC). I joke about putting a 200 amp entrance service on a garage with a 100 amp drop to the house, but in reality, I think I'll be fine with 100 amps. It's a hobby, so I'm not on the clock.

No problems with what you have, but what if you want something more in the future. Can't be that much more in cost to go bigger. My first shop I went with a 60 Amp service and found after a air compressor running, lights, and welding at the same time I had to keep replaceing fuses. Now this is back in the 50's and I was useing a buzz box welder so they may of had more draw back then??

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I'm not worried about the electrical service. I was hoping someone in the southeast Virginia/northeast North Carolina area would have already had an outbuilding and could recommend a company/builder.

fastback

Threads
Being I'm from the Northeast I can't help with a builder, but I can add to the electrical service comments. My house service is 200 amps. From the house I feed my woodshop 50 feet away with 100 amps. My table saw is 240 volts and 3 hp, the vac and compressor are also 240 volts. I also have a number of other stationary tools and have never had a problem even with dimming lights. I have 11 twin 40 watt floresent lights. From the garage (woodshop) I jump to the barn with 100 amps (200 ft away) There I have 12 twin floresents and a 60 gallon air compressor (240 volts) I have a welder 300 amp AC/DC, drawing a max of 70 amps. I have it wired for 50 amps never had to weld anything using the max amps. I have a car lift, plasma cutter, mig etc. Again I have never had a problem with power not even lights dimming. Of coarse, if I'm working in one I'm not in the other and I only use one machine at a time.

My newest shop is a machine shop and is also 100 ams, but its located in the house so no big deal.

Just my input.

Good luck on the move.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
In my daily job I work with large, high voltage emergency generator systems, so the electrical side of a detached garage is the area I know the most about. I want a weathertight shell built quickly and professionally by a competent crew at a fair price. I'll handle the wiring, lighting and interior finish beyond the secondary electrical panel, one outlet and one light needed to get the inspector's signoff.