My Ugly Lawn

Drakon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yea, its pretty bad. Pictures available in my album.

So basically here is the low down. This whole area used to be nothing but rows and rows of corn for a really long time. 2004 in come developers and slap together houses, compact yard down and throw sod on it. We got the house in 08 and the previous owners, according to neighbors, mowed about every other week to once a month letting it get real tall and cutting it down low.

2008 Dug out dead tree in front yard and planted a new one. Who ever planted it left the root ball in the burlap sack with the wires wrapped around it. Poor tree didn't stand a chance.

2009 we started having a big name company come out and treat the yard as it had a decent amount of weeds; they said they could get the yard tip top. We had them pull plugs and over seed. Not long after that a tech left a note that the yard was a lost cause and we should re-sod. Second big name company came out and said they would help us out but it would take some time. Since the other company just treated the yard I explained that and told them to hold off till. Two days later our yard was hit by their company and some grass started dying not long after. That ended that relationship

2010 was basically, cut grass once a week, put down weed and feed if any weeds showed up.

2011 I got tired of the yard in general. I bought a tiller and a dethatcher attachment, push broadcaster, seed, starter fertilizer, rock, pavers and other assorted things. Dethatched the entire yard and probably pulled a good 7-10 bags of grass clippings out. The back was the worse it had large mats of it. Over seeded and put down starter fertilizer. On the west side around the AC unit was bare ground and full of rocks. Looked like they just skipped putting sod down there. I tilled that and mixed in some bags of fertilizer and soil from lows then put down seed. Pulled all the plants from the sides of the house, small dead shrubs and flowering plants that produced tons of vegetation that had to be cleaned out every year. Replaced all of that with rocks and will spruce that up later. Dressed up the tree a bit with pavers and rock.

2011 summer. Heat killed most of the grass I put down, and in some of the bare spots that was originally clover some red colors grass grew. Went back to weed and feed, cut ever week to keep it managed.

2012 I'd like to get this yard presentable someday, for as bad as it is its an improvement over what it was when we moved in. But at this point I'm lost at where to start this year. The weeds are back already, the grass is thin and short in the front and thick and fast growing in the back. I don't know if I should just kill it all and start over or what. From what I understand its supposed to be a mild summer this year but with it being as warm as it is now in Indiana I wonder.

Any advice would be great.