Where and how much grease to add to Dana 4360-55 transaxle?

Peva

Threads
  • / Where and how much grease to add to Dana 4360-55 transaxle?
I've got to go into my Dana (http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small...24-need-advice-going-into-dana-transaxle.html) - never been into one before. I got good help on my other thread about that. I like to know anything I can before I turn the first wrench so I don't run into any surprises that will add to down time, and the only remaining question I have is on adding the grease.

Along with the parts already recommended to me in th either thread, I'm ordering the 4300 grease (no-one suggested a common grease equivalent from an auto parts store, so I'm going with that).

So is there a plug and hole to add the grease thru after it's all back together, or do I have to put it into the lower case half as I re-assemble it? Is the P/N 4300 the right amount of grease, or do I put a smaller measured amount in, or is there some level mark or reference to go by. It appears that the 4300 grease is common to all the different models of Dana transaxles, and maybe all don't take the same amount, so I wouldn't necessarily be using the full amount that comes in that. Or do I? I certainly hope I don't need 2 of the 4300 to have enough (I plan on ordering in a few minutes).

Thanks for any info. on this.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most of the ones that I have done, one of the 4300 is enough. Put it in before putting the two halves back together. You will know when you have enough, most will take the whole thing, just get in spread around inside and make sure to get plenty around the gears. It will tend to distribute inself throughout the tranny as you use it. I think one of the 4300 is either a pint or quart of grease, I don't remember off the top of my head.

Peva

Threads
Thanks again ILENGINE. I had pictured the grease being like a gear oil (liquid). I'm realizing now that it is more like a real grease, meaning thick semi-solid rather than a thicker liquid oil. Therefore no level measurement - just goop it on the gears, etc.

One more question: The rear wheels are held onto their axles with circlips. There appears to be a bit of room for the wheel to slip back and forth on the axle - maybe 1/8" or more. Is the fit of the hole in the wheel on the axle supposed to be a tight fit, or is it supposed to be a slip fit? IOW, is it supposed to be free to bang back in forth on the axle, or is it supposed to stay in one place, or, in addition to the circlip, am I supposed to put some Loctite on it to rigidly lock it in place on the axle? I just can't be sure about that with the age of this equipment plus a little corrosion.

Thanks again.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The wheel rim on the axle is just a slip fit and will probably have some slop in it from side to side and back and forth on the keyway.

I will give you a little clue about the 4300 grease. It likes to get on everything, fingers, clothes, sealing flange making the sealant not stick to the case.

I have said that if you can some on the tip of your shoe within an hour it will be on the tip of your nose

Peva

Threads
The wheel rim on the axle is just a slip fit and will probably have some slop in it from side to side and back and forth on the keyway...
Ahh - that makes it simple. Strange that my one wheel was stuck on so hard that it pulled the axle out - must have been corrosion (and I did have the circlip removed). :) I sure wish I hadn't pulled that axle out!

BTW - there's a guy on ebay that has *several* factory new Dana 4360-180 (replaces several of the Dana transaxles including my 4360-55) for $295 each: Dana Six Speed Linear Shift Transaxle 4360-180 Electrolux Home Products # 189115 | eBay Sure was tempting - that's apparently quite a good price compared to what the parts sites sell them for, but I can't justify spending that much. Like I said, tempting.

After ordering all the parts from Lawn Mower Parts SnowBlower Parts and more Outdoor Distributors - Lawn Mower Parts, I got an email from them saying that the shift keys (Dana P/N 4760, 6251 substitute) is no longer available. However, I just checked with searspartsdirect.com and they claim to have it in stock - so I ordered that one part from them - I hope they weren't lieing to me - they did that one time and wouldn't let me cancel the order until several weeks had gone by after it was clear that their supply chain was dry of the part. Anyway...

I will give you a little clue about the 4300 grease. It likes to get on everything, fingers, clothes, sealing flange making the sealant not stick to the case...
I will be particularly careful to keep the sealing surfaces clean. I assume something like brake parts cleaner will dissolve/remove it?

I have said that if you can some on the tip of your shoe within an hour it will be on the tip of your nose
I used to work with a substance called duct seal that we had to shape with our hands - it wasn't grease, but it would stick to everything and left a residue that was hard to get off. It was affectionately referred to as "gorilla sh**". This sounds similar, only it's grease.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Quick tip for working with the grease. Dozen pairs of the cheap disposable gloves. (food service style). Just keep throwing them out, may sound stupid, but it saves a lot of pants and shirts. I also put some cheap painters on the lower half sealing flange while fill with grease. Add sealant to upper half, remove the tape when ready and slide the two halves together.

Peva

Threads
I've got plenty of painters tape - may have to pick up the gloves. I believe you're speaking of the loose-fitting kind - material is like ziplock sandwich bags and clear - *not* the tight-fitting stretchy latex medical type?

Thanks again to the two of you. Details like you have given will no doubt save me much time and trouble.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Correct on the gloves.

Peva

Threads
Haven't been able to make the repairs:

...After ordering all the parts from Lawn Mower Parts SnowBlower Parts and more Outdoor Distributors - Lawn Mower Parts, I got an email from them saying that the shift keys (Dana P/N 4760, 6251 substitute) is no longer available. However, I just checked with searspartsdirect.com and they claim to have it in stock - so I ordered that one part from them - I hope they weren't lieing to me...
I ordered and got the shift keys from Sears early last week.

But the saga continues with Outdoor Distributors on the remaining parts: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small...outdoor-distributors-related-dixie-sales.html

Bugattiadam

Forum Newbie
Threads
I toke the easy route , drilled a small hole where the patient info is at and put lub in it . worked fine

Good lock