electric clutch

coryc

Forum Newbie
Threads
The electric clutch on my John Deere riding mower is only getting about 2-3 volts from the switch. I already replaced the switch. I have been unable to find the source of the leakage. I am thinking about buying a 12 volt switch from an electronics store. Can i run the switch directly off the battery or do i need some type of filter? Thanks.

jhwentworth

Threads
The electric clutch on my John Deere riding mower is only getting about 2-3 volts from the switch. I already replaced the switch. I have been unable to find the source of the leakage. I am thinking about buying a 12 volt switch from an electronics store. Can i run the switch directly off the battery or do i need some type of filter? Thanks.

Did you check the voltage at the input and output pin of the switch? If you've replaced the switch and have 12+Volts at the input pin the problem must be either in wiring between the switch and clutch, or there's a high resistance connection at the clutch ground. There should be an inline fuse for the clutch; inspect the fuse and fuse housing for corrosion. Measure resistance between the output pin of the switch to the input pin on the clutch (disconnect the battery before measuring resistance). Resistance should be 1 ohm or less.

If everything looks good in the wiring and fuse, check the clutch connector and make sure there's a good ground. Just FYI: the clutch coil should read around 3-4 ohms between hot and ground.

When you see a voltage drop it means there a resistance in the circuit. If there's 12V at the switch output pin and 3V at the clutch pin, there's a high resistance connection between those two points.

coryc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, i will do a quick meter reading before I start looking for a switch.