Can't get the winch to work

Usedtorent

Threads
My winch on my 4-wheeler is broke. It will not go back in once it's out. I have to hand crank it back in. It's a real pain in the rear. It works when it goes out, you just grab it and pull. What can be wrong?

henry

Threads
My guess is that you have a problem with 1 of the 4 solinoids (most have 4). If you are very lucky it is just a bad connection that you could fix easily. Worse case scenario you have to find which one has gone bad and replace it.

Zeroturn

Threads
Well that sucks! Have you figured it out yet? Did it come with a manual? Could be the little motor they have in them? Is it a bad connection? What is it on? We have winches on the 4-wheelers and we have never had a problem with them not working.

Michael

Threads
My guess is that you have a problem with 1 of the 4 solinoids (most have 4). If you are very lucky it is just a bad connection that you could fix easily. Worse case scenario you have to find which one has gone bad and replace it.
:thumbdown:

Do not know where got this info, I spent 30 years woking with DC operated fork lifts, & have never come across a 4 sloinoid setup to make a dc operated motor operate in oppisite directions, All your doing is reveseing polarity.
I would suggest you do a little study prior to giving advice on any topic.
Michael

henry

Threads
I do know what I am talking about. High power winches have two solenoids in each motor that way if one sticks there is another. You can do a search yourself and see that these do exist. Maybe you should do your research before telling someone to do theirs. Google 4 solenoid winch diagrams and you will see lots and lots of pictures. You may have never seen one but it does not mean they do not exist. Please do be more polite in your posts. This seems like a nice community and I do not want to argue with you. I also do not want to be put down. We are not talking about fork lifts anyway. This post is about a 4 wheel winch.

Last edited:

Michael

Threads
I do know what I am talking about. High power winches have two solenoids in each motor that way if one sticks there is another. You can do a search yourself and see that these do exist. Maybe you should do your research before telling someone to do theirs. Google 4 solenoid winch diagrams and you will see lots and lots of pictures. You may have never seen one but it does not mean they do not exist. Please do be more polite in your posts. This seems like a nice community and I do not want to argue with you. I also do not want to be put down. We are not talking about fork lifts anyway. This post is about a 4 wheel winch.
Lets cover this, point 1, the poster never said what kind of winch it was, so how do you determine wether it has 4 solinoids, 2, where have you seen 2 motors on an atv winch, 3, so you say they add the extra solenoid in case 1 fails, if it has 2 motors it will require 2 solenoids for each motor, you should have read your response before submitting reply, finally, what does foklifts have to do with this? All of the lifts I serviced where DC, "IF YOU NO WHAT THAT MEANS" battery operated, which in travel mode the motor would need to see reverse polarity in order to reverse, 30 years SON, send me a pm I'll send my CERTIFICATES, however! I highly doubt your computers big enough to accept a file that LARGE.
That said if you felt insulted I am truly sorry, it is up to the poster to supply as much info as possible for us to help, thereby preventing arguments such as this.
So why not put this aside & ask the original poster to supply enough info to help us figure out the problem.

Michael

mowsby

Threads
It would be funny to see a 4 solenoid winch on a 4 wheeler but I bet you someplace some where someone has done this. I never judge though, if someone wants to put money and time in to something like that it is up to them.

Attachments

• client pictures 011.jpg
    client pictures 011.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 22
  • client pictures 015.jpg
    client pictures 015.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 27
  • client pictures 018.jpg
    client pictures 018.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 20
  • client pictures 020.jpg
    client pictures 020.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 27
  • client.jpg
    client.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 24
  • back4.jpg
    back4.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 20

Michael

Threads
It would be funny to see a 4 solenoid winch on a 4 wheeler but I bet you someplace some where someone has done this. I never judge though, if someone wants to put money and time in to something like that it is up to them.

You know it, the problem is probaly quite simple, just more info, & we are under way. I should post engine has died on my RED TRACTOR, yeh rite, how far do you think that would get.

In regard to the 4 solinoid thing, Wise men speak, cause they somthing to say, fool's speak, cause they have to say somthing. TKS your vote of confidence.:smile.
Michael

jhwentworth

Threads
You know it, the problem is probaly quite simple, just more info, & we are under way. I should post engine has died on my RED TRACTOR, yeh rite, how far do you think that would get.

In regard to the 4 solinoid thing, Wise men speak, cause they somthing to say, fool's speak, cause they have to say somthing. TKS your vote of confidence.:smile.
Michael

Henry is right. Most newer permanent magnet stator motor ATV winches use 2 solenoids and most newer series wound stator ATV motor winches use 4 solenoids. The solenoids can be either integrated or remote mounted. Permanent magnet winches tend to be cheaper, series wound winches tend to be stronger.

A Warn RT25 ATV winch uses something they call a contactor that contains 2 SPDT solenoids that provide the function of 4 SPST solenoids. Older Warn winches used a mechanical switch. I have an ancient one that I used to load my boat on a trailer.

You're right though, the OP's question can't be answered without knowing the winch model.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Henry is right. Most newer permanent magnet stator motor ATV winches use 2 solenoids and most newer series wound stator ATV motor winches use 4 solenoids. The solenoids can be either integrated or remote mounted. Permanent magnet winches tend to be cheaper, series wound winches tend to be stronger.

A Warn RT25 ATV winch uses something they call a contactor that contains 2 SPDT solenoids that provide the function of 4 SPST solenoids. Older Warn winches used a mechanical switch. I have an ancient one that I used to load my boat on a trailer.

You're right though, the OP's question can't be answered without knowing the winch model.

That was well stated and conclusive, thanks jh:thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSCN8678.jpg
    DSCN8678.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN8682.jpg
    DSCN8682.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN8692.jpg
    DSCN8692.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 73