I have a silly question.

Tillie

Threads
Why does a mower require a gas and oil mixture? Is there a difference between that and 2 cycle oil? Why can't the mower run on regular oil?

dria

Threads
I have a gas trimmer that runs on that. My mower runs on regular gas. I have also used regular oil in my mower when I was in a pinch and it did not hurt it. Of course the experts might say not to do that.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
ONLY a 2 cycle engine requires a gas/oil mixture...
MOST mowers are 4 cycle engines and do not require a fuel mixed with oil... :smile:KennyV

jhwentworth

Threads
Why does a mower require a gas and oil mixture? Is there a difference between that and 2 cycle oil? Why can't the mower run on regular oil?

Most mowers use 4-stroke engines like you have in your car or truck. They burn regular gasoline for power, and use motor oil to lubricate the engine parts. The lubricating oil should be changed occasionally. The gasoline goes in one tank, and the oil goes in another.

Some older mowers use a 2-stroke engine that requires you to mix the gasoline and oil together. The oil lubricates the motor's moving parts prior to being burned. If you don't mix oil in the gasoline the motor will fail. In a 2-stroke engine it's best to use an oil that is designed to be used for that purpose. Regular motor oil might work in a 2-stroke engine in the short term, but is not the long-term choice.

While 2-stroke oil may cost more than discount-brand motor oil, it does work better, and the increased cost doesn't amount to much over the course of a year. Use clean, fresh, gas, and high-quality oil, in a 2-stroke engine, and they will last a very log time.

There are a lot of 30-year old Lawnboys still running.

dnjsyl

Threads
I would have to say that jhwentworth has put it perfect..........best explanation that you can get