Lawn Boy 2 cycle Ashless oil

Teds

Threads
I agree, it is good stuff...but does not meet Lawn-Boy (TC-W3) specs.

It exceeds those specs, TC-W3 is actually a water cooled outboard motor classification. The repair shop guys call those cans of Lawn Boy oil "Blue Death" for a reason, I expect. It's not 1975 anymore. Plugs burn clean, as far as a 2 stroke is concerned, the exhaust ports and muffler don't sludge up. Cold Compression 105 psi. What's not to like? 60c a gallon mixed.

Russ2251

Threads
It exceeds those specs...
Got a link?
Lawn-Boy absolutely requires an ashless oil.
JASO oils are low ash and are high temp oils and do not meet NMMA requirements for TC-W3.
Are the Lawn-Boy engineers wrong?

Last edited:

javjacob

Threads
An air cooled oil is what the Lawn Boys need. The Lawn Boy oil is a outdated low quality oil. I currently use Stihl ultra oil at 32:1 in my Lawn Boys. Switching to Amsoil Saber after I run out of Stihl oil. Im still going to run the Amsoil at 32:1 though, might possibly try 40:1 but leaning towards 32:1.

Russ2251

Threads
An air cooled oil is what the Lawn Boys need...The Lawn Boy oil is a outdated low quality oil.
According to whom?
Please be ready to backup your statements before posting as in the following:
lawnboyoilspec.jpg

Last edited:

nitehawk55

Threads
Got to love oil threads , almost as bad as talking politics !! :tongue:
I ran a D series for 5-6 years with Castrol 2 cycle oil at 40:1 and decided to do a tear down just to see . No carbon in the exhaust ports , piston really clean , rings free and not stuck , lots of visible oil on needed surfaces . Mower ran perfect and cut a 1/4 acre lot so it saw a lot of use . I think any modern 2 cycle mix is just fine , use what you feel good about.

Russ2251

Threads
I ran a D series for 5-6 years with Castrol 2 cycle
That's because it's TC-W3. Exactly what the Lawn-Boy manual calls out for.

nitehawk55

Threads
I should have been more specific , it was Stihl branded Castrol oil made to Stihl spec in Canada . I worked for the company in the Tech dept for 17 years . Was not rated TCW3 , chainsaws and other OPE don't do well on that and as far as L-B yes they rev a lot slower then a saw but they run as hot .
Again , use what you feel good using .

Russ2251

Threads
yes they rev a lot slower then a saw but they run as hot .
I don't suppose you could back-up this statement?

Mow'N Weeds

Threads
I have read that zinc has been removed from motor oils to add to the bottom line. A great anti wear ingredient that may still only be found in oils for Diesel engines. I would use it but I can only find it in 20-50 weight.

Have a good day,

Franchi
Amsoil has a 'Z-Rod' high zinc formula in a 10w30, and then also a high zinc 10w40.

nitehawk55

Threads
I don't suppose you could back-up this statement?

Ever heard of a temp sensor ? If I recall the LB ran about 30 degrees cooler than the average saw , so not much difference. . We did a lot of testing on new model production saws in the field and did tear down inspections that were reported directly to home office in Germany. I wasn't at a dealership , it was the head office for all of Canada .

You can use the TCW3 ash free oil Russ , it's perfectly fine I'm sure and if that's what you like using , good . I'm not trying to tell you it isn't suitable for your equipment but I am saying the JASO rated oils are perfectly fine too at recommended mix ratios . I prefer using them at 40:1 and I don't preach that to anyone , just what I feel is suitable . :thumbsup: