Lawn Boy 2 cycle Ashless oil

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I've switched 90% of my customers to Opti 2 two cycle oil for all my engines except chain saws. Even the old LB's and two jakes. Have not had any problem, plus the same gas can be used in 24/1, 32/1, 40/1, and 50/1 engines. A lot less gas cans in the shop. Chain saw get stiehl synthetic or moto mix if they get stored for a long time.

Mystik2stroke

Threads
Use a real NMMA certifed TCW3 ashless oil, many oils are NOT NMMA cerified, check the list here:

Certification - TC-W3

If an oil company is too cheap to certify, what are they hiding? It's easy to make claims, but what about verification by a third party??:ashamed:

Rudedog

Threads
I was using Stihl full synthetic 50:1 with 93 octane Shell gasoline. Is high test/premium a problem?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Use a real NMMA certifed TCW3 ashless oil, many oils are NOT NMMA cerified, check the list here:

Certification - TC-W3

If an oil company is too cheap to certify, what are they hiding? It's easy to make claims, but what about verification by a third party??:ashamed:

Based on the description on the website linked and the list of two-stroke oils on that website, it appears that the testing procedure is oriented toward marine engines. Those engines typically operate at lower temperatures than the engines on mowers, trimmers, chainsaws, etc. I think that those lower temperatures place different demands on marine two-stroke oil. I've noticed that marine two-stroke oil is labeled differently than the oil I buy for my Lawn-Boys.

So I think that this certification may not apply to the oil needed for two-stroke mowers.

The idea of having a third-party test various oils and certify the ones that meet certain standards is a good one but I'm not sure that the standard for marine two-stroke oil is the optimal standard for Lawn-Boy mowers.

Mystik2stroke

Threads
OK, then if TCW3 isn't the best oil for a Lawnboy, I guess the OMC engineers are just idiots, and owner's can safely ignore the manufacturer's time and money spent on testing oils for the engines they designed??

It's your mower, do what you want.:laughing:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two-stroke pointed out something that most people don't know, that is, there is a big difference between 2-stroke oils used in marine engines (water cooled) and those used in lawn and garden equipment (air cooled). Air cooled engines must run under much hotter conditions. Using the wrong type of oil will shorten the life of you engine and cause spark plugs to foul very quickly.

reed

Threads
not to be rude but this topic is always over cooked on any forum. car dirt bike , boat ect . .just use what makes you happy and what you feel comfortable with. i have 5 vintage lawn boy mowers and they all run great on castor 927 . and i use motul 800 . i even ran the cheap crap from wal mart that has the built in measuring cup for 15 years with no problems .these are lawn mowers not nascars .the big thing is clean your air filter regularly and only mix 1 gallon at atime so fuel doesnt get old . just my 2 cents.didnt mean to piss anyone off .

Rudedog

Threads
not to be rude but this topic is always over cooked on any forum. car dirt bike , boat ect . .just use what makes you happy and what you feel comfortable with. i have 5 vintage lawn boy mowers and they all run great on castor 927 . and i use motul 800 . i even ran the cheap crap from wal mart that has the built in measuring cup for 15 years with no problems .these are lawn mowers not nascars .the big thing is clean your air filter regularly and only mix 1 gallon at atime so fuel doesnt get old . just my 2 cents.didnt mean to piss anyone off .

Never been on a forum that didn't have an oil war. What about mixing it with premium/high test gas. Not that I need 93 octane but its easier to mix with the Stihl Ultra synthetic oil since the Stihl saws require high octane. I have no idea whether or not there is a problem specific to Lawn-Boy with 93 octane.

Mystik2stroke

Threads
Hey;

Yes, I'm new here so sorry if I came off as harsh, something about oils gets many of us passionate, I have no idea why? I guess I feel it's best to trust the makers of our mowers, I'm sure they know much more than myself at least. That's why they make the big bucks right?

My echo trimmer manual is downright threatening, use the oil they say (any brand) or the warranty is void!

reed

Threads
93 octane is fine .i have always used it and my mower repair shop suggests it. these are not high compression engines so i doubt if it affects performance.