Ryobi Trimmer

monica123

Threads
We just got the trimmer back from the shop, we had to wait for months to get the shaft assembly. Husband used it once and it ran out of gas so he gassed it all up to use it today and the engine is ceased so back to the repair shop it goes! Sucks it is an hour and 45 min drive to get it fixed :(

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it a 2cycle or a 4cycle engine?
If 2cycle is he using the correct fuel/oil mix...
KennyV

monica123

Threads
Its a 4 cycle so it didn't need to be worried about mixing things correctly. I don't know, the thing has been nothing but crap since we bought it. I figured if we spent the money we would get something quality, boy was I wrong!

Larry

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is strange. My Ryobi 2cycle that is rarely used is still running on original carb and plug since 1995!!!

I wouldn't write off the brand yet. Perhaps you got one with some engine tolerance issues.

jhwentworth

Threads
We just got the trimmer back from the shop, we had to wait for months to get the shaft assembly. Husband used it once and it ran out of gas so he gassed it all up to use it today and the engine is ceased so back to the repair shop it goes! Sucks it is an hour and 45 min drive to get it fixed :(

If it's a 4-cycle it's probably a Ryobi 34420. The 34420 has a curved shaft and dual lines. I looked in a "leading independent testing group's" ratings for gasoline trimmers and the Ryobi trimmers were rated either "very good" or "good", but the customer reviews were all very negative because of reliability issues. The suggested retail price for the 34420 is $174, and I'd guess that for that price there are better choices.

hot pipe

Threads
hi everyone...
manocia hi have been wrench on these engines lately in my spare time ..and have had some that came to me locked up.. most were shipped to me with oil in the combustion chamber fro being shipped...guess on its side or upside down.
big no no...so the problem lied in pulling the motor over and it locking up...problem here is a hydralic lock. were the oil seeps thru the rings into the top of the cylinder head and filling it with engine oil from the crank case oil..so when you go to pull on the cord it moves for a bit then locks up..easy fix. pull the spark plug out. and try rolling the motor over and get the oil out of the top of the piston/combustion chamber..if its still locked then its worse... seez motor. but i also have one that was motor seez and found it is loaded with contaminates in oil..the build up has caused the motor to lock up. i put it in a tube of parts cleaner and spun the motor buy had to get all juck out and oil out of it... and man it made a diffrence...so next step is to reassemble it. in progress..had a leaf blower to finish repairing today...ryobi bp42 2 cycle back pack leaf blower.. hope this helps

hot pipe

Threads
note also the older models some were around 2009 had problems with the camshafts..."plastic cam" lobes wiping out and causing them not to run correctly..no replacement parts other them buying a short block or buying a long block to repair the problem...and the newer steel cams are not interchangeable with the older 4 stroke engines..
have all there trimmers c430,s430,x430 have 5 of them...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hot pipe, do you realize the the threads you are posting to from 2014 & 2010. Don't think those who needed help are around anymore.