What did I forget to do?

Richstom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I have a craftsman mower with the Kohler 149cc engine, I bought it last march and ran great, but about a couple months ago I tried starting it and nothing would happen, besides the motor turning when I pull the chord. Didn't really need it at the time so I dismissed it. Well now I need it lol I changed the sparkplug, oil, checked spark plug wire, dumped old gas out, put fresh in, sprayed a little bit of carb cleaner into carb air filer port (there was some black gunk inside the port, not a lot, but enough.) and made sure the fuel line going from the tank to the carb was clear and not blocked. Like I said before it won't even attempt to start besides when I pull the cord. One time I tilted the mower back slightly and tried starting it and it made a backfire type of sound. That was only once though. Any ideas or tips are appreciated! And no I don't know alot about mowers obviously. That's why I'm asking y'all. Thanks for your time. Also it's the auto start type of mower if that helps. I wish I would of bought one you can prime.

Richstom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for quick response yes the spark plug is in correctly, I only took off the hose from the tank to the carb the one that has the filter in it (looks like a smaller tube inside the hose) made sure it was clean, there is another tube but
I don't think that one is for fuel, I think it's a breather hose. Here is a pic of the fuel line with filter (marked #3)
a581d349.jpg

Richstom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok got it running, I sprayed a little starter fluid in the carb. And presto! Starts back up perfect :thumbsup:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok got it running, I sprayed a little starter fluid in the carb. And presto! Starts back up perfect :thumbsup:

Ether: got to love it! It's just like pixie dust except you can get it at Walmart....and I suppose it doesn't smell as good as pixie dust...but since I've never smelled pixie dust I'm not sure....
Anybody here ever smell pixie dust?
Jmurrayo1, could you ask one of those leprechaun's about that?
Thanks dude :rolleyes:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Brilliant :thumbsup:

I don't recommend starter fluid myself, due to the fact it is basically a very very high octane fuel which creates a big explosion when the spark plug fires, and my fear is that some valve damage would occur during that "big bang" (please, no childish replies. Yes, I'm talking about you Kenny :laughing:)

I generally find that once a mower gets going, it sorts itself out and starts working well after that. Or maybe I'm just lucky!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

I don't recommend starter fluid myself, due to the fact it is basically a very very high octane fuel

Over here starter fluid is Ether ... Works Very good, I've used it for decades... :smile:KennyV

It IS liquefied pixie dust.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

I don't recommend starter fluid myself, due to the fact it is basically a very very high octane fuel which creates a big explosion when the spark plug fires, and my fear is that some valve damage would occur during that "big bang" (please, no childish replies. Yes, I'm talking about you Kenny :laughing:)

I generally find that once a mower gets going, it sorts itself out and starts working well after that. Or maybe I'm just lucky!

I don't know where you got this from? When I was younger I would hear the same thing. Maybe someone over used it once and something happen? As for myself I also have used it for years and also when I worked in the service department of a mower dealership we used it all the time. Some of the older diesels have a port in the intake to use it. Personally I have never seen any damage from it??

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe he's thinking about using starter fluid to seat the bead on a flat tire?
Although it works well, it's little scary and probably dangerous. Although I don't know of anyone being injured using this technique, common sense tells me they are out there.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
In the future starting fluid is bad - we use gasoline in a spray can like the old oil pump hand held can.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
In the future starting fluid is bad - we use gasoline in a spray can like the old oil pump hand held can.

Yes I have used your method on a lot of 2 cycle engines when the air filter is off. The starter fluid works a lot better through a air filter element.