those new Murray's

fastback

Threads
Who or what are they using to design these things. I don't care if they make them cheap, I just think they should meet cirtain criteria, such as daily usage.,

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now we're seeing the real value of a history lesson. Nothing learned from a company that went belly up.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Who or what are they using to design these things. I don't care if they make them cheap, I just think they should meet cirtain criteria, such as daily usage.,

Most comsumer mowers are designed under the concept for the average replacement interval which is 3.5 years with 12 hours per year on pushmowers and 4.5 years and 38 hours per year on riders.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most comsumer mowers are designed under the concept for the average 4.5 years and 38 hours per year on riders.

That is less then 200 hrs. on a rider. Where are you getting this from? Is this the person that buys a mower and never does maintenance.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think there would be better mowers And better maintenance If all mowers had hour meters on them...
That way everyone would notice that they are replacing things that Could have been taken care of and then lasted at least 3 times longer...
Of course manufactures would have to make things a bit better ... the majority of (inexpensive) mowers are built to sell... Not to Own.
But if folks thought of use in terms of hours rather than years... they would Demand a better built machine.. & take better care of it...I hope... :smile:KennyV

fastback

Threads
Its interesting, I buy with the intent of getting atleast 15 years out of the unit, any additional time is a plus. Unfortunately, I have a limited buget for lawn equipment so I look for the heavest duty in the less expensive brands such as Sears and Husqvarna. I will not accept anything less than a garden tractor. I have been fortunate with these tractors all have held up well. I have always changed the oil at the start of the season also change the air filter, plugs and fuel filter. The only short coming has been the fact that there was no hour meter. I did install one in my case tractor and found it helpful. My newest tractor has a meter and I think this will add some longevity to its useful life. If nothing else I will change the oil more often.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is less then 200 hrs. on a rider. Where are you getting this from? Is this the person that buys a mower and never does maintenance.

Was informed of this fact at a OEM dealer meeting a few years back. Was talking to a Snapper dealer about 4 years ago and he was telling me that snapper was going to redesign there rear engine riders to be more price competitive with other manufacturers, and the life expectancy would be 5 years.

jakewells

Threads
the frame cracking on MTD's is nothing new i have seen them all the time.
my relabeled MTD has no frame issues and it has a cast iron front axle which i thought it unusual for a LT model but i guess back in 94 they took more pride in workmanship it is due for a engine overhaul and rear tires.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Was informed of this fact at a OEM dealer meeting a few years back. Was talking to a Snapper dealer about 4 years ago and he was telling me that snapper was going to redesign there rear engine riders to be more price competitive with other manufacturers, and the life expectancy would be 5 years.

You are saying a life of 5 years with less then 200hrs. What is this the life of the engine or chassis? The second rider Craftsman I bought years ago was in that class. After about three years the mower deck was so bad it wasn't repairable and I couldn't find parts. I remember welding the spindle bearings into the housing. You can guess the life of a bearing after it is welded . I junked the whole unit, The chassie was junk but the engine was still like new.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Kohler courage is engineered for 750 hours, the Command for 1500 hours. the briggs Intek is engineered for 750 hours and the Vanguard for 1500 hours. Now this just expected life for the average engine, so some will last longer, and some will last less than that. Some riders will go several years past the OEM estimate but some will be replaced after just 1 or 2 years.

Since that is the average replacement interval the low end OEM companies are designing there equipment to that replacement average. IE, not over engineered.