Leaf Blower

noodle

Threads
I have never owned a leaf blower just because I never saw the sense in blowing things around. It hurts by back to rake these days. Would getting a leaf blower really save me time this fall when the leaves come down?

Hershey

Threads
A leaf blower will move things where you want them. You can blow all of your leaves into one great big stack and then bag them. It's definitely a plus to have.

Roger

Threads
Just remember that after it rains is not the best time to try and play with old blowers. I did this and I swear it took at least three years from my life with how slow things went being weighed down.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have never owned a leaf blower just because I never saw the sense in blowing things around. It hurts by back to rake these days. Would getting a leaf blower really save me time this fall when the leaves come down?

I have owned numerous gas and electric leaf blowers but for the most part they don't help much with clearing leaves. I use mine mainly to blow debris around, out of the garage, off the decks, dry my car after washing, blow dirt and grass clippings off the tractor, etc. They are of VERY LIMITED USE for what their name implies. Some of the gas models come with a vacuum attachment for sucking up dry leaves, they are so awkward to use as to be almost worthless for that purpose.

Bethieboo

Threads
Hrm. I can see how they could be convenient for some things but at the same time I would not want to spend a lot to get one. Can anyone recommend a cheap leaf blower?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hrm. I can see how they could be convenient for some things but at the same time I would not want to spend a lot to get one. Can anyone recommend a cheap leaf blower?

The Craftsman brand is a good one for electric blowers, they range in price from $20-$45. Weedeater brand is sold at Wally World, also a fairly good product. Unless you anticipate a lot of use, get an electric model and a good extension cord. The only things I use my gas powered blowers for is getting debris off my long driveway and when I need more power than an electric can provide. Avoid the cordless models, power is very limited and they run only a short time on a charge.

rmancini

Threads
I suppose that like anything else, people will differ in their opinion.
Mine is that if I didn't have my leaf blowers (one hand-held and one backpack) I would give up on yard work altogether.
I use one or the other for cleaning my roof and gutters, clearing my decks, cleaning my equipment, clearing yard drains and of course, blowing leaves. Both are gas powered.
My back gives me trouble after 30 mins of so of raking so I rely on the blowers quite a bit.

noma

Threads
Noodle

I;m not sure on a brand ,but if you get a electric one get a good heavy cord for the amps that your blower requires. Its the size of the wire in the cord. The longer the cord the bigger the wire size. By the time you buy the right size cord for the lengh you need a gas one might be the way to go.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Leaf blowers work well for blowing leaves and other light debris across pavement. They will move dry leaves across turf but not very effectivley esoecially if the leaves are wet. I use one for the drive way and garage for a very quick way to sweep up, much quicker than a broom.
If you want to an effective means of collecting leaves that have accumulated on turf you may want to try a leaf rake, This device is usually mechanical and works when pulled across the lawn with a series of gears kind of like the old mechanical push mowers with no engine.
I have never used a leaf rake but I have use a leaf vacumn with no success. That was one of those tools I wished i had never bought:ashamed:.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads

I too have an electric craftsmen or sears that I have used for years, Didn't cost much and has always worked well. Does require a 3-12 power cord min minimum and will trip the breaker occasionally, I think it draws 12 amps, not sure. You should porbably wear a dust mast in dry conditions or poor ventilation.