How do you sharpen your blades

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I do mine on a bench grinder free hand. I do know a man that made a jig but I would think is only good for the blades he uses

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I do mine on a bench grinder free hand. I do know a man that made a jig but I would think is only good for the blades he uses

The first thing I do is clean them. then I do mine in a vice with a hand grinder free hand and balance them after. What does the jig do, give the right angle? Seems like a little over kill.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
reynoldston said:
The first thing I do is clean them. then I do mine in a vice with a hand grinder free hand and balance them after. What does the jig do, give the right angle? Seems like a little over kill.

I guess he feels he needs to keep the angle factory. I agree it's over kill to do a simple task

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I've never sharpened the blade on my mower, because I only bought it brand new last year, and due to the fact I use it so little, it'll probably be years before I need to sharpen it.

I'll probably use a hand grinder to sharpen it when I need to.

ad landscaping

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use a bench grinder and even sometimes an agle grinder with the blade haning off my work bench while clamped down.

jc56

Threads
I hand file mine still on the deck.

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
Since I mow grass for a living, I invested in the Magna Matic system some years back. Works great and I also balance the blades.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I hand file mine still on the deck.

Sounds like it may have some advantages and disadvantages. advantages, don't have to remove blades, won't over heat from grinding, you don't put a lot of stress on the blade bolts. the main disadvantage I can see is you can't balance the blades but also you are not taking off much metal presharping

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I did think of buying a sharpening block specifically for sharpening blades, and if it works for you, perhaps I'll give it a try when I need to sharpen mine.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I did think of buying a sharpening block specifically for sharpening blades, and if it works for you, perhaps I'll give it a try when I need to sharpen mine.

As I understand it you have a push mower with one blade. Wouldn't it be cheaper to have a professional sharpen your blade once a year?