How do you sharpen your blades

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
As I understand it you have a push mower with one blade. Wouldn't it be cheaper to have a professional sharpen your blade once a year?
You obviously don't know me! I'm a tight old bugger, and buying a sharpening block works out cheaper than having a professional do it annually.

That is bugger in the UK term not the US term which got JDgreen into quite a pickle :laughing:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
:smile:A 48" deck 3 blader. Bought 2004 still original blades. They have been sharpened about 3-4 times per year. I take them off and first clean them in a vise to remove the dried layer of grass. For this I use a duller wood chisel. Next free hand with a common "grey" grinder wheel on an 8" grinder , 60 grit. First knock down the thick "secondary" area of the blade. Usually two passes on this . Next tilt blade to put on the cutting or "primary," usually two passes. Then I gently make one more pass on the primary with a finer grit wheel. . You should feel a "wire" on the back side. Take a mill file and stroke flat accross the back to remove the wire.

This technique is not for the novice and probably seems scary as you work blind,guard removed , facing the back of the blade, the blade held at about 45degrees accross the wheel as you sharpen. Keep moving to avoid overheating. I have not had to rebalance. The blades have been resharpened to the point of changing their lift configuration, but they still fill the 3 hoppers. I priced these blades this week at Sears. $25 each.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
It sure is cheaper to sharpen your blades rather than replace.

I've looked all over the internet and I can't even find a replacement blade for my Mountfield SP414 walk behind, so I've got the biggest inspiration of all to keep mine sharpened without replacing, as I literally can't replace it!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You obviously don't know me! I'm a tight old bugger, and buying a sharpening block works out cheaper than having a professional do it annually.

That is bugger in the UK term not the US term which got JDgreen into quite a pickle :laughing:

I guess I don't know what a sharping block is when it comes to sharping mower blades ?? Your not sharping a knife.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I see it there has to be a lot of ways to sharped mower blades and it seems everyone has there own way. I worked for a equment sales and service shop and when we sharpened mower blades which was often they told me when I was all done sharping the blades to make one very fast pass over the sharp eadge to dull them.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Every one here has there own way of doing things its nice to learn something new every day

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

fastback

Threads
I used to sharpen my blades with a bench grinder now I use a 4.5 inch hand grinder while the blade is held in a vice. I also balance. As for sharpening in place personnally, I would suggest that the blade be removed and the bolt coated with anti-seize. A blade bolt can get mighty hard to remove once it is rusted in place.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sure is cheaper to sharpen your blades rather than replace.

I've looked all over the internet and I can't even find a replacement blade for my Mountfield SP414 walk behind, so I've got the biggest inspiration of all to keep mine sharpened without replacing, as I literally can't replace it!

Go ahead and dress them up BEFORE they are actually dull... It will be quicker & easier than waiting until they start loosing their tip .... :smile:KennyV

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Every one here has there own way of doing things its nice to learn something new every day

Sent from my iPhone using LMF
It sure is :thumbsup:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Go ahead and dress them up BEFORE they are actually dull... It will be quicker & easier than waiting until they start loosing their tip .... :smile:KennyV
So basically what you're saying is a stitch in time saves nine ?