Engine Engine Turns Slowly and then Quits

carlb43

Threads
I had a situation where the motor turned slowly and not fast enough to start it. This was
yesterday. New battery. The fuse blew probably because the old battery had a shorted cell - I think. Of course after the fuse blew, nothing happened it was dead.

Today after replacing the fuse it turns slowly a few times then quits and a whiring sound continues. Turn off the key and turn back on and it does the same thing, It is cold here but I think it should go if the starting system is normal. Obviously, it is not.

Any suggestions. Perhaps a starter gone bad.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
IToday after replacing the fuse it turns slowly a few times then quits and a whiring sound continues. Turn off the key and turn back on and it does the same thing, It is cold here but I think it should go if the starting system is normal. Obviously, it is not.

The only thing that will blow a fuse if it has a draw that is higher then what the fuse is rated for like a short in the wire to that fuse is one thing. A short in the battery wouldn't blow a fuse. Seeing it has a new battery and make sure you have checked all battery connections and cables and it is turning slow and blowing fuses I would say check for a short in all the wires that go the that fuse. This is where a wiring diagram comes in handy. Also if the starter motor bushings are worn out and the armature drags on the field winding the starter will turn slow but shouldn't blow a fuse.

Chuck42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sometimes when the starter solenoid is going bad it will not allow enough voltage to the starter. You can bypass the solenoid with a set of jumper cables to see if it is indeed your starter solenoid.

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Its similar to when you have a starting problem with a car - most times a starter goes bad after so many years - just wears out and starts to draw so much juice it kills the battery ( has a hard time starting) - lawntractor starters also wear out over time , usually a good cleaning and new contacts help tremendously ( the starters on my older briggs motors are a snap to clean/reassemble) .

Solenoids also wear out , ign switches do as well.

How old is the mower? I have a 84 dynamark one day it just refused to start - i knew the ign switch was well worn - one day it just refused to start - come to find out the switch grounded out inside , popped the inline fuse and caused my issue. A new switch and fuse later- it started right up.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just because the battery is new doesn't mean it is fully charged. Check the voltage at the battery and check it again when you are turning the key. If the battery voltage drops to low, it could cause your problems.:biggrin: