John Deere D-130 Tractor - 42" deck

Paul R.

Threads
Hi Guys - I recently purchased a JD D-130 tractor - 42" deck with all intentions of doing a knock up job of picking up leaves from my 1 acre property. I use to own a Toro Wheel Horse with a 38" deck that picked up leaves like a vacuum cleaner. Both sides of the deck cleared leaves from the lawn without leaving any stray debris to be picked up on a second or third pass. My new tractor unfortunately does NOT do the same clean up job? When I make a pass in a counter clock wise direction, the right side (pick up tube side) shoots leaves back out to the cleared area and yet there is no obstruction or clogging of leaves to create a blow back. The mulching blades that I purchased to improve picking up leaves came with instructions that mention that the blades have a left and right designation which was nowhere to be found on either of the blades. I have already complained to JD and shot many videos at various angles, speeds, heights etc to support my argument that this 42" deck with mulching blades does a lousy pick up job. So far I have had the dealer tell me that there is nothing wrong with the tractor, deck or blades but didn't comment on the tell tale video and the reason why the tractor was sent back to them. I'm somewhat disappointed on how John Deere's consumer support department threw the problem back to the dealer and his techs. Now that I've indicated that if the problem is not solved soon, I may demand my money back, a district rep is supposed to look into this problem. If anybody out there has had the same problem or have any suggestions on how to avoid the multiple passes to pick up leaves I would appreciate hearing from you. Paul R.

jenkinsph

Threads
I like Deere products in general but was unimpressed with the collection/baggers on the 100 series machines. Hope you can get some help with it and let us know what happens.

Jhon

Threads
The mulching blades are for mulching and not for bagging. You should get the "High Lift Blades" They designed to give more suction and a better push into the bags. I have a LA120 which is similar to your D130.

When I switched to the high lift blades it was like I was on a different mower. Like night and day.

Paul R.

Threads
The mulching blades are for mulching and not for bagging. You should get the "High Lift Blades" They designed to give more suction and a better push into the bags. I have a LA120 which is similar to your D130.

When I switched to the high lift blades it was like I was on a different mower. Like night and day.

Thank you very much - I was some what mis-lead by the salesman, he new what I was going to use the mulching blades for. Since you sound very knowledgable, does JD sell the high lift blades??, if note, where would I get them? Paul R.

Paul R.

Threads
I like Deere products in general but was unimpressed with the collection/baggers on the 100 series machines. Hope you can get some help with it and let us know what happens.

Hi, I hope this helps you too, I'll give it a try and see what happens - Paul R.

jenkinsph

Threads
Thanks Paul, I may have to pick up a new set of high lift blades and give them a try. I thought that I had already tried this without much success. Could have been the wrong blades though, as I didn't know squat about them at the time.

Jhon

Threads
Thank you very much - I was some what mis-lead by the salesman, he new what I was going to use the mulching blades for. Since you sound very knowledgable, does JD sell the high lift blades??, if note, where would I get them? Paul R.

I got them from www.greenpartsstore.com last fall. They were John Deere Brand. I have a 42 inch "Edge" deck, but it may be different than yours so check what part number you need. Mine were: John Deere Hi Lift (Bagger) Mower Blades (42-inch cut)(Set of 2) - AM141034. They cost about 41 bucks for the set. I usually shop around for the best price, but you can still look around, maybe this year you can get a better deal elsewhere. JD also makes a third blade for my mower which is supposed to be a cross between the two. They were fine for mowing and mulching, but very poor for bagging leaves.

Knowledgeable? hardly compared to some of the old timers on this site, but we have similar tractors and we had a similar problem. I put up with mine for three years until I tried the new blades. could have kicked myself for not doing it sooner. It also just about eliminated my shoot clogs. I hope it solves your problem.

Paul R.

Threads
Hi Jhon - thank you for the heads up - I happened to order the same part number you quoted from the same parts store. You're 100% right about shopping around for a good price. I recently ordered 12 D-130 oil filters that cost me about $4.85 each from Amazon.com when some of the JD suppliers are charging over $8 - 9.00 per filter. It definitely pays to surf the internet when you're looking for tractor supplies. Again, thank you for your help - Paul R.

jenkinsph

Threads
Paul,
Let us know when you get a chance to check out the high lift blades,as I am now very curious. I went through my blades and did not find the high lift set I thought I had. That kinda confirms my suspicion that I had the wrong blades.

Jhon

Threads
Hi Jhon - thank you for the heads up - I happened to order the same part number you quoted from the same parts store. You're 100% right about shopping around for a good price. I recently ordered 12 D-130 oil filters that cost me about $4.85 each from Amazon.com when some of the JD suppliers are charging over $8 - 9.00 per filter. It definitely pays to surf the internet when you're looking for tractor supplies. Again, thank you for your help - Paul R.

Well, I hope they make the difference for you that they did for me. If not, I will feel bad as I wasted your money.