5 HP Briggs quits when throttle released

danschultz

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know this is for lawn mowers but I have a 15 year old go kart with 5hp briggs model 136212. Carb sits on large tank with baffles in it (hard to clean). Not run in about 5 years until now.

The motor starts on first pull, idles well, accelerates and runs well. When you abruptly release throttle the engine quits. It will restart on second pull. First with choke and second pull with no choke. It has always done this. It seems a little more prone to quitting now.

I have cleaned carb, cleaned tank (as best I could), cleaned spark plug, has new fuel.

Does anyone have any ideas on what would cause this shutdown issue.

Thanks Dan

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
It sounds like your engine may be running slightly lean.

Do you know how to adjust the carburetor ? If so, you shouldn't have a problem giving it a wee adjustment and see if that helps.

danschultz

Forum Newbie
Threads
I do. Will richen it up a little and see how it does.

Thanks for the response.

Dan

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does your B&S have the carburetor that has the elbow where it fasten on the engine block. If this is the style carburetor you have I have found that this mount will warp with heat and leak vacuum when the engine is hot. What I have done to repair this problem I taken a real flat metal plate with 220 sand paper and flatten the carburetor mount resurface. But being on a go cart I am thinking it is the style that fastens on the top of the gas tank. If this is the carburetor make sure your throttle shaft isn't worn loose. This also will draw vacuum and make for poor idle.