Switching engines; kohler 15s w/sep fuel pump to kohler w/cab pump

kchris2

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Switching engines; kohler 15s w/sep fuel pump to kohler w/cab pump
Hey I need some advise. I inherited a '98 JD 155 with a Kohler 15S engine. I need to put a new engine on it because the crankshaft is bent. What happened was the motor mounts were loose and the shifting over time made this happen. Well, I found a used 15S engine (got it for $60). I thought that it was the exact same engine but it is not. The stock engine has a mechanical fuel pump and the replacement has one built into the carb. My question is, will this engine work with this chassis? There are four wires on the harness for both engines. One for the coil (white) two large one white and one black and the stock engine has a green wire, while the new engine has a red wire going to the carb. Can I just run the stock green wire to the red of the new? Is this the same signal for both fuel pumps? Help!!

kchris2

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, while reading some similar threads I found out that the carb on the new engine has a gas shut off solenoid. There is no fuel pump on this engine and it is my understanding that when you key up that the solenoid needs to be energized? So, I guess my question is if I run a longer fuel line around to the carb will this engine draw fuel? I know that on the Deere the gas tank is in the rear and is lower. Also I don't know about the green wire that goes to the stock engine?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
we would need model/engine numbers to get a diagram [ or you could try the JD forum ] .....if the original engine had a fuel pump...youll still need one....

kchris2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I will get the model numbers. You say I will need a fuel pump for the new engine. Is this because of the rear gas tank? Would it be possible to mount a tank up front so that it would be gravity fed?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
probably....you can get universal electric for $40......i wouldnt move the tank...its a big hassle.....can u use the old one off the other motor?

kchris2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, as a matter of fact along with the engine I got a box of parts that include the craftsman gas tank. I think that I could mount it over the battery? I am ordering a carb rebuild kit for the new engine now.

kchris2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is the info on the JD engine: Family# SKH426U1G2RB
model# CV15S
Engine# 41562
426cc

The Craftsman engine has the same family, model and displacement but the engine# 41526.

I have to figure out the green wire on the Deere motor, the Craftsman doesn't has one? The Craftsman does have a red wire to the carb shut off, I know that it needs to be energized with the ignition.

RedDragon do you have any info about the green wire? It disappears under the flywheel?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
if its under the fly wheel..its going to the magneto....or is the kill wire for it..........trace them and see which one goes to ground.....white is probably for white ...but im not sure...green and black usually ground....im having some trouble coming up with a diagram with colors on it:rolleyes:........you might have to take pictures of both for us and the tractors harness

kchris2

Forum Newbie
Threads
That makes sense. I'll put my meter on them and see where they go. If that doesn't help then I can take some pics. Oh, what would be good to soak the carb in before I rebuild it?

I appreciate your help, the internet is a Beautiful thing!

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
butter tub or somehting like that....maybe a micro -meal bowl?