8 gauge wire

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You don't say what you need the wire for. If its for batery cables you can go to Auto Zone or others and buy red or black automotive battery cables. They come in different lengths. Cut the battery end off. I have made ends using copper pipe, cut a piece about 1 inch ling flaten one end drill a hole and solder the piece to the cable. will prbably outlast the tractor. Or you can buy new copper ends at a auto suppy house. Good luck..

All kinds of good ideas, I like the copper pipe idea . I know for sure the next time I can't find a termal end I am going to try it.

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Fastback : I like the copper pipe idea for battery cable ends - ill try that - thanks for the idea .:thumbsup:

Reynoldston: The cables are on my personal tractors - id use proper color cables if it was for paying repair job . I use the ' black tape' and spray paint method .

Ive done the 'reverse hookup' before ( one with 2 red wires) - i was like " Why isnt the tractor starting?" - cables were on backwards and starter just spun in reverse.....:confused2:

fastback

Threads
I originally said pipe, but the correct work would be tubing. I've used welding cables for 6 volt vehicles. I think I'm dating myself... When I have a problem I try to think "outside the box" and often I'll find something that is sitting there just waiting to be used.

After having an electric cluch bit the bullet I check mine anually I have found the bearings starting to freeze up due to moisture in the grass. I have taken the bearing out and drilled through the seal and pumped in grease it works pretty darn good. I seal the hole with silicone. When Idlers wear out I drill out the rivits and split the idler remove the bearing and replace the bearing. Bearings can be gotten cheep at a bearting supply house. You can reassemble with rivets, bolts or spot weld. This will get you going again.

I know that some of this has nothing to do with "8 gauge wire" but I thought I'd pass it along.

Regards,

Paul

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I do the same thing on my own personal equipment with the idler pulleys when I can but some times can't because the bearing are part of the pulley or at a odd size I can't find. I knew what you were talking about pipe or tubing because pipe wouldn't work so well.
I guess it is just me I want red battery cable on pos and black on neg. no paint or tape, mine or anything I work on and for sure you do it your way and I will do it mine.