How old to mow?

jteuban

Threads
I know it may sound very young, but I was 6 when I first started mowing. I found an old weed eater and just started mowing along all on my own. My father had to show me how to start out but after that it was smooth sailing. Also I started mowing with a lawn tractor at 7. Then after that I loved using lawn equipment so much that I started to work on them. But I say overall, you should be 13 to start using lawn tools responsibly and in the correct way. Also I think you need supervision until this age.

JohnDeere-x320-48in

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been mowing since 5th grade and I am now 16 and mow 10 to 12 yards a week. I don't really think there is an age limit as long as they know how to run the machine properly.

Black Bart

Threads
Thanks for the great video of your daughter, she looks like she is having fun. I have a son and a daughter and I find my daughter is more mature than my son. He is more likely to come up with some crazy idea and get himself hurt. We are working on that with him but until he learns how to handle responsibility better then he won't get to Mow. (or at this rate drive a car) :confused2:
You know better than anyone else if he is ready.

Just remember better safe than sorry be sure they understand the danger before turning them louse with it.

poncho62

Threads
I was 10 when this pic was taken in 1962.........Look at those reels, no guards at all....I lost no limbs.........Times have changed....for the better

national.jpg

daddy3

Threads
is it worth the risk of a lifetime injury if you have to ask your self that i would say they are not ready not to mention the cut lines could be waveyYyYyYyYyYy or even worse missed spots in the grass

Threads
my wife is twenty seven, after running over every possible obstacle, including the house, :confused2:
she is NOT ready:laughing:

ProLikeJesus

Threads
Mowing can be a very dangerous thing but sometimes a teenage boy is ready to do it to make some money. How old should you be to be mowing with a riding mower?

Don't start dragging him along with you to do yards at the age of 12 years old. You'll take is youth away from him. Let him be a kid; let him play around. Don't use him to make more money.

jimrs

Threads
When I started mowing we did not have riding tractors. In fact we did not have a motor on our mower. I was about 10 before we got a power mower. I could not use it as it never would never start. My Grandson was about 11 before his dad gave his son lessons on the tractor. He loves to mow but he is killing the mower. He only knows one speed wide open and hits stuff with the deck and mower all the time. I have been there when he mows and I stop him and explain proper mowing but again he runs it as fast as he can. I'm not talking about running the motor but the mower at the highest speed. They are cutting about 1 3/4 acres and it takes him about an hour to mow its a J.D. L110. But his dad is almost as bad about it.

txzrider

Threads
So I have a very smart 17 y/o son. he is very mature... does he follow directions... not so much! he will be safe, he will just drive me crazy doing it the hard way instead of the way I told him. I have seen him pause the mower when people walk by just to make sure they are safe. He will check the oil, come ask me if anything seems off... but mow the way I tell him ... no so much. In any case my rule of thumb is if they follow directions will stop and do the little things like move rocks or check the oil. I was mowing with a push reel mower (non_powered)at 7 and mowing with a gas mower by 10. I agree with other posters, you know your kid. In my case I am having to let him learn the hard way to get a nice consistant cut, he is getting there, just slowly.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a 45 year old son-in -law with his own home, lawn, and mower and don't think he is mature enough to run my mower. Everything he touches it just seems to break. :eek: