Replace or Repair ?

Replace or Repair ?

• Total voters

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Lets say your Lawn Mower broke down, and it would cost $200 to fix - But, there was a mower with the same specifications as your current one for sale for $200 brand new...

What would you go for ?

Fix your current Mower, or buy a new one and dump the other ?

I would fix my current mower, as I believe in keeping things going for as long as they will, rather than giving up and throwing something away just because it would be easier to buy a shiny new one.

Your input please!

benski

Threads
Lets say your Lawn Mower broke down, and it would cost $200 to fix - But, there was a mower with the same specifications as your current one for sale for $200 brand new...

What would you go for ?

I would fix my current mower, as I believe in keeping things going for as long as they will, rather than giving up and throwing something away just because it would be easier to buy a shiny new one.

Your input please!
On the better built stuff that I own, no question; fix! On the cheaper stuff, if it augers in, I'll just kick it to the curb and see what other adventures await..:biggrin:

jamesslcx

Threads
Always fix the old not because I dont care for the new stuff but because I love to fix things!:smile:

Threads
if u have a snapper or honda mower fix it, any others junk it and get a new one preferably a snapper or honda :)

benski

Threads
if u have a snapper or honda mower fix it, any others junk it and get a new one preferably a snapper or honda :)

Oh, I see. So the folks who have invested thousands in their John Deeres, Simplicitys, Ex marks, etc. should just arbitrarily drive them off to the recycler? Yeah, sure.:rolleyes:

jamesslcx

Threads
I have a lot of mowers, all different kinds from Honda to MTD and honestly I don't have any favorite brand honestly they all get the job done for me and I have no preference. But I do hold the higher end mowers to higher standards and the less expensive ones to lower standards but sometimes I am very surprised with how things work out but I can make the cheapest mowers last a very long time because I maintain them very well and truly enjoy working on things on the other hand I have seen people take Snappers and Hondas wear them out in a year or less so I guess what I'm saying is that machinery is what you make of it . Calling certain brands junk is usually not very logical at least to me.:thumbsup:

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Ive bot one brand new tractor way back in 92 - rest have all been free ( yes FREE) up to $100 - the free to $50 ones have been actually the best ones, lil work and they still run good.

I have like 28 tractors in my 'collection' of misfit tractors... murrays, dynamarks, MTD's , craftsmans, lone simplicity and wheelhorse.

I recycle em at my house and save a ton of cash- tractors not worth fixing get taken apart for ones i have and keep - just saved myself around $150 the other day, had a spare magneto and mandrel assembly for my 90 murray ( both conked out) - was a freebie fix.

I had a snapper RER- was a rusted piece of junk that i got free- motor ran, stripped all the good pieces off and shipped what was left to the scrapper......

From what ive read in tractor forums, new tractors have too many issues - ill keep my old stuff ......

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it is worth owning ..... then it is always worth repairing... :smile:KennyV

LandN

Threads

What would you go for ?

Your input please!

you say 200.00 is the price to fix a current mower,or 200.00 to buy a mower with the same specifications.that means that the new mower has to be identical in every way to the broken mower.right? so i say that a 200.00 mower is probably not going to cut/mulch very well,being likely that its a lower level - entry level mower, so i'll take that 200.00 bucks and add some more cash and buy a mower that i believe will cut/mulch better than the broken mower that i had been using.:biggrin: