destroyed spindle

173abn

Threads
the last time I mowed the deck was making a racket which I thought was the belt,then I started leaving uncut grass so again I thought belt problem.I popped the cover off and engaged the deck and saw that the left spindle wasn't moving so I figgured the key had sheared.Took it to the shop and took the belt off and saw where the entire spindle and sheave had been gutted.I grease everthing after every mowing so I fuggered it was due to age.Bought a new spindle and sheave at my dealer,paid $85.00 for the spindle and $35.00 for the sheave and put it on.cut today and cut weeds around my fence project,some as high as 6' as well as black locust saplings.worked like a charm.this winter I'll probley at least get the other 2 spindles just in case.if anyone has to replace spindles there is a left ,center and right spindle as you sit on the seat.the sheaves are differant also...russ

Parkmower

Threads
I've rebuilt a few spindles on commercial decks and they are universal. No specific position. I usually remount them so the grease zerk is on the front side unlike all the manufacturers great idea to always have them at the back.

Good to hear your back up and running

173abn

Threads
thanks Parkmower,did you rebuild Grasshopper spindles?On my deck they sure look differant,the part the sheaves go onto the r. one is higher than the l. one. the middle one is the same height as the r.one.on my deck there is 2 belts instead of 1 continous belt that the newer units have and I guess that's the reason for the differance.I'm going to look again tomorrow but the dealer did ask which one I needed....russ

Parkmower

Threads
Never touched a grasshopper. I've done them on toro and Jacobsens

173abn

Threads
I've got a JD111 that I put new spindels on and they are the same but on my GH they are def. differant..russ