Neccessary to reduce rpm/throttle?

platinumaa

Threads
i have a 2006 super LT 1550 cub cadet.. is it necessary to reduce the throttle before engaging the pto? or its not necessary

thanks

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
i have a 2006 super LT 1550 cub cadet.. is it necessary to reduce the throttle before engaging the pto? or its not necessary

thanks

The correct way is to move the throttle control lever to approximently the mid throttle position then engage the PTO, then you can advance the throttle lever to operating speed.

Sammy the Red

Threads
Always engage and disengage the pto at the lowest possible rpm's.
When it feels right, you will know.

Too low and you make everything shudder a bit and may stall motor.
Too high and belts are burning, disks will wear faster.

Every mower is a little different.

robert

Threads
I'll trust the advice of the people who built my tractor/mower, full throttle to engage deck.

Isn't maximum torque produced at near max or max rpm's?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The manual for an '07 states the same as our new GT, engage at full throttle:

http://www.cubcadet.info/Manuels/2007/1500-SERIES-SLT-GT)/OWNERS/13AQ11BP710_13AK11BK710_Ow_07.pdf

This would seem to me to be the correct manner to engage all decks, but............

My question would be why the differences in engagement spends. I checked your link and it's like you said and at the same time I checked my manual for my ZTR and it says The correct way is to move the throttle control lever to approximately the mid throttle position then engage the PTO, then you can advance the throttle lever to operating speed.( full engine speed) so why the differences.

robert

Threads
I looked at the power curve for the Command and contrary to what I thought the most torque is produced at about 2600 or so-that would be between midway and full throttle...guessing most engines would be the same.
Why the recommendation from Cub, most power is at full throttle perhaps that is their reasoning.

jigbuilder

Threads
I talked to a service tech at the Cub dealer and a couple of smaller area small engine outdoor equipment techs and they all said yes they were aware what the manufacture says but they all recommended dropping the rpm about half way or 2/3rds for engaging the clutch.
My GT 1862 Cub with a 18HP Magnum at max rpm really squalls when I engage the clutch. Drop back to half throttle and it engages quicker with no squalling.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
With an electric PTO clutch ... there is no way to 'feather' the clutch in... it is either On or Off... very similar to sliding your foot off the clutch in your car or truck... if you do it at idle... you are likely to stall the engine. If you do it at Full Throttle you are very likely going to brake something sooner or later...
it is only reasonable to engage a clutch at the Lowest engine RPM to not stall and and high enough without shocking the driven components... but your the one who will likely be replacing belts, pulleys and spindles... all the parts are expendable if you treat it like it doesn't matter... :smile:KennyV

mullins87

Threads
I engage the PTO at the lowest engine rpm possible without stalling it, which is about 1/2 throttle on my mower. IMO, engaging the PTO at full throttle is comparable to revving your car engine to 3,600 rpms, then dropping it into gear.