Honda oil leaking

JPK Omaha

Threads
I have a HRX217VKA with GCV190 purchased in 2016. There is a fuzzy oily dusty substance spreading across the front of the mower deck which I suspect is oil leaking from the motor. It started shortly after I bought the mower and keeps getting worse. I have changed oil 2x/year using Honda oil. Are others experiencing oil leaks from this engine? Suggested solutions? Thanks.

Photo link:

https://imgur.com/a/GOi7Pge

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There should be a crankcase vent tube shown as 1 in this drawing https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/honda/lawn-mower/hrx217k1-vkaa-lawn-mower-usa-vin-maga-1400001-to-maga-1499999/air-cleaner.
Check is is actually there, is fitted properly at both ends and is not split.
You can do it with a small mirror otherwise it requires the complete air filter housing to be removed.
When you do this the carb will come loose because the bolts that hold the air cleaner housing on also hold the carb on.
So when you take the first long one off, clip a phillips screwdriver down the hole to stop the various gaskets falling off.

For servicing these engines , I use a pair of studs that go into the head as the bolts come out to prevent this happening as there are 3 gaskets ( all different ) + a manifold to line up.

trekgod3

Threads
I have a HRX217VKA with GCV190 purchased in 2016. There is a fuzzy oily dusty substance spreading across the front of the mower deck which I suspect is oil leaking from the motor. It started shortly after I bought the mower and keeps getting worse. I have changed oil 2x/year using Honda oil. Are others experiencing oil leaks from this engine? Suggested solutions? Thanks.

Photo link:

https://imgur.com/a/GOi7Pge

If it's been leaking since you bought it, why didn't you get it fixed under warranty? Or did you buy it second-hand?

JPK Omaha

Threads
If it's been leaking since you bought it, why didn't you get it fixed under warranty? Or did you buy it second-hand?

Good question. I bought it new in April 2016. At first it was just a small leak - I thought the oil must be leaking when I turned it on its side to clean under the deck. Since the leak has gotten progressively worse I now suspect it is something more serious. I will have to check on possible warranty coverage but it may be expired.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If it isn't what Bert said, I'm going to go with valve cover leaking.

Best thing to do is clean everything, get all the oil dust mix off and make sure its full of oil, and run it and see where it originates from.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have had a few GCV engines that would develop leaks in the RTV sealant between the two crankcase halves. And keep in mind since the crankcase is an angle cut, the area under the cylinder is under oil when the engine is filled.

JPK Omaha

Threads
Have had a few GCV engines that would develop leaks in the RTV sealant between the two crankcase halves. And keep in mind since the crankcase is an angle cut, the area under the cylinder is under oil when the engine is filled.

Thanks- that's really bad and indicates a design flaw or sloppy manufacturing. Honda must have given up their efforts to build with quality. There is no more incentive to pay extra to buy a Honda product when they let these things happen.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I still don't get the deal with that crankcase design....
Made no sense to me.
I took one apart one time that threw the rod, just to see the innerworkings,
Looked like they let a 3 year old loose with a tube of RTV... PITB to get it off.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I still don't get the deal with that crankcase design....
Made no sense to me.
I took one apart one time that threw the rod, just to see the innerworkings,
Looked like they let a 3 year old loose with a tube of RTV... PITB to get it off.

isn't that HondaBond HT fun to deal with. You will bend the valve cover on those engines trying to break the bond with that stuff.

Russ2251

Threads
Re-assembled one of mine with LOCTITE 515.
Crankcase halves had to be lapped before doing so, but looks professional (zero oozing) when finished.
The 515 will NOT work on valve cover.
Paint remover is great for removing the old black goop.