No power to starting solenoid on ZT 60

SlopeMan2

Threads
There was no response when I turned the key to start position yesterday, like there was no battery. But, when I jumped the post on the solenoid, the starter spun the motor just fine. I have not found the schematic diagram, but suspect the switch itself, or a relay. I just tested for 12 volts at the solenoid, from the switch, and it was not there in the start position. I would think the start position of the switch would close the circuit between the red and white wires, since the one going to the solenoid is white. But, it looks like there is a relay between the switch and solenoid. Any ideas? Thanks

SlopeMan2

Threads
By the way - I did have the emergency brake on, and steering arms were moved all the way out. I was sitting in the seat.

SlopeMan2

Threads
I just read on lawn world, a suggestion of an experienced mechanic, who recommended the grounding of the solenoid itself be checked. I can see that as a possibility, and will check that tomorrow.

dougand3

Threads
Is +12v at the little solenoid terminal when ignition switch is turned to start? If no - solenoid ground, ignition switch or safety switch trouble.
Solenoids are either 3 pole (2 big, 1 small) or 4 pole (2 & 2). On 4 pole, 1 small is +12v and other small is ground. On 3 pole, the whole metal frame is the ground - don't see it losing continuity.
I'd check the 3 safety switches - seat, brake, PTO. They are either NC or NO. You can test continuity of the 2 switch leads when unengaged (button out) and then when button pushed in. If there is no change with button In/Out, then that switch is faulty.
Wild guess would be seat switch. When my GT seat switch (NC) failed, it would not open with button push.