Craftsman model 917.250830 transmission

NEAL1940

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower is about 4 years old and has already had transmission replaced by faulty contractors. In the replacement, the right rear seal popped out and seems to have leaked about all lubrications fluid. There is no remaining warranty on unit Took to a Husqvarna mower dealership for repairs who said they could replace fluid through the seal point. After almost a month and half later, they say that this is a closed system and the only way to get fluid into unit is to drill a hole into transmission. They say that they cannot do this as a dealership. Does anyone know where it would be safe to drill a hole, insert fluid and plug hole. Would appreciate any information from fellow members.

Romore

Threads
That appesrs to be the General transmission which is not serviceable, you are looking at replacing it again. For that kind of money I would part it out and look for a better used unit

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Somewhere on the top of the trans. there would be a vent, maybe a rubber plug or a hose that sticks up a couple inches. That would be a place to add some fluid. Is this a hydro transmission? Post the model number and name on it if so, maybe can give more info.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go to www.generaltransmissions.com click on service and parts, and then technical information, and then bulletins, and then how to replace the axle seals. It also has the information for how to add grease to the tranny. The General Transmissions are not true hydrostats. they are move like the MTD version with the variable pulleys drive system, but in this case the variation pulley is part of the transmission not a separate drive unit. this drive unit used EP00 grease which is basically snapper transmission grease which is a flowable oily consistency grease.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Go to www.generaltransmissions.com click on service and parts, and then technical information, and then bulletins, and then how to replace the axle seals. It also has the information for how to add grease to the tranny. The General Transmissions are not true hydrostats. they are move like the MTD version with the variable pulleys drive system, but in this case the variation pulley is part of the transmission not a separate drive unit. this drive unit used EP00 grease which is basically snapper transmission grease which is a flowable oily consistency grease.

Just as a followup post to this reply - the website linked has many transmissions and some do show how to disassemble to a point where grease can be added. The instructions are detailed. I tried to find a transmission part number for you but all the sites say no longer available so that model mower-tractor may be older than 4 years. The original owner's manual should have a parts page in it with numbers for each part. From there one can Google the transmission part number and see what comes up. That said, there are several big mower tractor bone yards in the USA that sell good used parts. Because the part come up NLA when the mower-tractor model number is put in, you might consider finding a good used trans from a bone yard and setting it aside in case the old one fails. I keep a plethora of used parts around for things I own only because so many devices these days no longer have a part, or because the superseded replacement part is too expensive. I hate to give up the space for a few boxes of things but I can't afford the cost of amortizing a $3500 item over 4 or 5 years, then replacing it again. Once you know the trans model you could also ask the trans manufacturer if they have a refurbished unit. Some companies sell factory refurbished units that are almost like new.

NEAL1940

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just as a followup post to this reply - the website linked has many transmissions and some do show how to disassemble to a point where grease can be added. The instructions are detailed. I tried to find a transmission part number for you but all the sites say no longer available so that model mower-tractor may be older than 4 years. The original owner's manual should have a parts page in it with numbers for each part. From there one can Google the transmission part number and see what comes up. That said, there are several big mower tractor bone yards in the USA that sell good used parts. Because the part come up NLA when the mower-tractor model number is put in, you might consider finding a good used trans from a bone yard and setting it aside in case the old one fails. I keep a plethora of used parts around for things I own only because so many devices these days no longer have a part, or because the superseded replacement part is too expensive. I hate to give up the space for a few boxes of things but I can't afford the cost of amortizing a $3500 item over 4 or 5 years, then replacing it again. Once you know the trans model you could also ask the trans manufacturer if they have a refurbished unit. Some companies sell factory refurbished units that are almost like new.

I really appreciate your information, have pulled up GeneralTransmissions as you posted. Followed your directions and got to the info about adding lube. Have to wait till it quits raining here to see if mower transmission model number matches the ones that you can add lube. Will let you know after I check all that out. Once again thanks for your posting and followup.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
be sure to thank ILENGINE. He is the one who posted the link I followed.

NEAL1940

Forum Newbie
Threads

I thought I was doing a reply to you, instead I replied to a followup post from SGKent. Both you and he were very helpful. Here is what I sent to the wrong person.-- "I really appreciate your information, have pulled up GeneralTransmissions as you posted. Followed your directions and got to the info about adding lube. Have to wait till it quits raining here to see if mower transmission model number matches the ones that you can add lube. Will let you know after I check all that out. Once again thanks for your posting and followup."