old craftsman weedeater 358.796122

suepic

Threads
Hi everyone,
I have a very old craftsman weedeater 358.796122. took it apart cleaned carb and replaced fuel line cuz it was brittle. When i put it back together the gas won't go thru fuel line to carb no matter what i do. I threaded it with wire seems to be clear. Sooo I took it all apart again and replaced the filter too. when i i took the gas tank with fuel line off unit and held it with the line hanging down it flowed nicely but when i reassembled it nothing. also noted there is no primer bulb just one line going from tank to carb. Any ideas would be helpful just a note when i use starter in plug it starts quickly
thx for any ideas

dougand3

Threads
Did you disassemble the carb, clean it and replace the diaphragms? I bet the fuel pump diaphragm is shot.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things come to mind.
Dougand got the first .
The other, particularly as this is an old old machine, crank case seals.

We know it stars fine if you put fuel into the cylinder, lets see what happens when you put some starter fluid in the crankcase by spraying through the carb throat.

If it doesn't fire right up that would suggest that the seals are shot & you are sucking air in past the crankcase seals and not through the carb.

It won't hurt to test the carb either,
Slide it off the engine, turn it sideways and blow air through the carb throat.
You should get a nice flow of atomised fuel out the other end.
If not then there is a blockage in the carb.

Well that makes 3 looks like my counting is a bit sus.

suepic

Threads
Did you disassemble the carb, clean it and replace the diaphragms? I bet the fuel pump diaphragm is shot.

Thx doug i will try to locate the diaphragms and try again such a newbie at this, you all have been sooo helpful
thx again

suepic

Threads
Two things come to mind.
Dougand got the first .
The other, particularly as this is an old old machine, crank case seals.

We know it stars fine if you put fuel into the cylinder, lets see what happens when you put some starter fluid in the crankcase by spraying through the carb throat.

If it doesn't fire right up that would suggest that the seals are shot & you are sucking air in past the crankcase seals and not through the carb.

It won't hurt to test the carb either,
Slide it off the engine, turn it sideways and blow air through the carb throat.
You should get a nice flow of atomised fuel out the other end.
If not then there is a blockage in the carb.

Well that makes 3 looks like my counting is a bit sus.

thx bert for the info....i will try to locate the diaphragms and reclean ....still learning...... i am learning sooo much from everyone! thx