Wheel Diameter Upgrade, Need Wider Axle (Yard Vac)

l008com

Threads
I have a Craftsman yard vacuum. It actually works pretty well. But my yard is kind of rough and the thing has small wheels so I bought a pair of giant 12" wheels to help it roll smoother. They actually fit really well, AND turns out there's a second position I can put the axle in to help accommodate the bigger wheels.

But the one glitch in this plan is that the "hub" portion of the new wheels is a lot wider than the original wheels. So I need a longer axle. This axle is not threaded, it's just a perfectly straight rod with a pin hole on each end.

The OEM axle is 20.5" wide. Looks like I need one that is 22 3/8" wide. (or a little wider, I can always pad it out with extra washers). Anyone know where I can get an axle like this? I gotta assume that some piece of equipment out there probably takes this exact axle and I could just swap it in. But I'm not sure how to look for it. Is there a name for this type of axle, with the pin holes instead of threading?

IMG_9363.jpg

IMG_9366.jpg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, you won't find a wider axle to work, so you will have to fabricate one.
Put up the unit's model numbers off of the tag, so we can look at the illustrated blowup of it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the wheels are held on with a bolt. drill the bolt hole a bit deeper then get a grade 9 cap head bolt to fit in it.
make a spacer to extend the axel the desired length.

l008com

Threads
If the wheels are held on with a bolt. drill the bolt hole a bit deeper then get a grade 9 cap head bolt to fit in it.
make a spacer to extend the axel the desired length.

No bolts. They are held on by a retainer clip that goes through the small hole at either end of the axle.

l008com

Threads
Hopefully I can buy a new axle that's very close to the right size, all ready to go.
If nothing close enough exists, then I guess I'll have to make my own. If I do go this route, at least it will be cheap. They have half inch metal rods at home depot.

They have zinc plated 3' for $7.53. That looks like the same metal as the original axle. Although I assume it will no longer be plated on the end where I cut it, and also inside the holes I have to drill?

They also have half inch aluminum rods for $8. I won't have to worry about that rusting, and it should be a lot easier to drill in to. And it won't hurt having the machine be a tiny bit lighter. But will an aluminum rod be strong enough to carry the load of the machine? I assume it will, it's not that heavy after all. But I don't know much about metal strengths-vs-thicknesses.

They also have plain old steel rods for $6.40, but I assume that will rust very quickly. I'm thinking the zinc or the aluminum is the way to go. Thoughts?

Cusser

Threads
Related question, somewhat off-topic:

Does this yard vacuum do a good job picking up burrs from the yard/dry dirt?

l008com

Threads
Related question, somewhat off-topic:

Does this yard vacuum do a good job picking up burrs from the yard/dry dirt?

Burrs?

Cusser

Threads

Yeah. From weeds. They get caught in the cocker spaniel's fur, like little tiny velcro invaders from outer space. See the little hooks on them !
burrs-or-burs-stuck-to-a-fleece-jumper-CC55GF.jpg

l008com

Threads
Yeah. From weeds. They get caught in the cocker spaniel's fur, like little tiny velcro invaders from outer space. See the little hooks on them !
burrs-or-burs-stuck-to-a-fleece-jumper-CC55GF.jpg

I don't have these so I do not know. All I have is a never ending sea of giant oak tree leaves.