John Deere starting problem

mehan

Threads
I have a late model 111 with the original 11 hp engine. When the tractor sits for more than a day it can only be started by jumping from my truck as the tractor battery will not turn over the engine for long enough in insure a start (I can crank the engine for at least 10 minutes before the battery gives up). When engine is warm starting is not a problem as after starting the engine runs well. The engine does use a lot of oil both through gasket leaks which I have not been able to locate and through what I suspect is valve guide clearance as it smokes a lot immediately on starting . It seems to lose prime on standing as it seems to try and start but dies after a few seconds. Should I be looking at fuel pump or carburetor as the culprit. Have not seriously tried starting fluid as the air cleaner is really no fun to open except for scheduled maintenance. Do plan on using starting fluid nex time I try starting. Have checked the plug (new) and find more carbon than I like but no evidence of oil)

Tractor number: M111S331876 (1985?)
Engine: 253707 0155.01

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a late model 111 with the original 11 hp engine. When the tractor sits for more than a day it can only be started by jumping from my truck as the tractor battery will not turn over the engine for long enough in insure a start (I can crank the engine for at least 10 minutes before the battery gives up). When engine is warm starting is not a problem as after starting the engine runs well. The engine does use a lot of oil both through gasket leaks which I have not been able to locate and through what I suspect is valve guide clearance as it smokes a lot immediately on starting . It seems to lose prime on standing as it seems to try and start but dies after a few seconds. Should I be looking at fuel pump or carburetor as the culprit. Have not seriously tried starting fluid as the air cleaner is really no fun to open except for scheduled maintenance. Do plan on using starting fluid nex time I try starting. Have checked the plug (new) and find more carbon than I like but no evidence of oil)

Tractor number: M111S331876 (1985?)
Engine: 253707 0155.01
Give us the full numbers off of the engine for an accurate date.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The date will tell us more, like if the engine has points.
That could be the majority of your problem.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good point on the points. Might try jumping it with the truck's engine running first thing rather than wait for the mower battery to die. Give it full + voltage.

mehan

Threads
have you tried using a drop light next to engine block, keeping it warm, or electric heater?

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/n...ualSearch.html?searchrequested=253707-0155-01

Thanks for the owners manual - have the B&S parts list - also have wiring diagram if anyone is interested. Will try drop lite next as this is not the season for serious mech. work in an unheated garage.

Will also check the points as it's been a long time.

Thanks for the interest, mehan

mehan

Threads
Good point on the points. Might try jumping it with the truck's engine running first thing rather than wait for the mower battery to die. Give it full + voltage.

yes! will go the truck earlier as even a even a portable jump starter couldn't cut it.

Thanks.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put up a pic of the site where the model numbers are stamped.