Mower
    TORO "Super Recycler" model 20383 - "Personal Pace" drive (vintage MY 2013)

Toro - Personal Pace drive problem

Machine
    Model 20383 - vintage 2013; 4 cycle; 21" cut; Personal Pace drive of the Rear wheels; also has the BBC (Brake Blade Clutch aka "Spin Stop")

Symptom
    It was running normally, when all of a sudden I noticed white smoke coming from the top of the deck (engine was still running normally)
    - shutoff off engine immediately
    - based on smoke and smell, I immediately suspected something like burning rubber / a belt
    - the Personal Pace drive was no longer working (had to push mower manually - no assist (as a senior = tough sledding))
    Note: when I started it cold the next day, engine started fine and there was no smoke ,when I tried to engage the PP drive, but it still didn't drive.

Troubleshooting / Disassembly so far. The day after I saw the white smoke:
    1. I turned it over so I could remove the Blade from the Drive Shaft
    2. I also removed the plastic shield (3 screws) that covers the Brake Blade Clutch (BBC) on the Drive Shaft. I could see a) the Belt that controls the BBC and b) underneath it I could also see the Personal Pace Drive Belt that goes to the Transmission box on the Rear Axle and Wheels.
    3. Both of the Belts appeared to be physically intact (neither was actually broken)
    4. I started the engine normally and at the handle, when I pulled the handle to engage the Personal Pace drive, I could see the belt tighten normally (as is should)
    Ö BUT the Belt didn't physically move / turn. The left side of the belt stayed completely still and the right side of the belt was vibrating, but not physically moving / turning.

Question:
    I'm guessing the white smoke I saw was a belt burning. I don't believe the smoke has anything to do with the engine. So I believe I have a Personal Pace drive problem and for starters I'm just trying to decide what I need to try next to see what the cause is.

Based on my description above I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to further diagnose what the problem might be.
    (I'm currently focusing on the white smoke and thinking it was from a burning belt, but when I started it the next day and engaged the Personal Pace, the belt wasn't even moving).

Mower
    Toro

Re: Toro - Personal Pace drive problem

From your description I would say your drive belt is either off the pulley or jammed with something between the belt and transmission pulley. Either way you will need to replace the belt. On this unit, with BBC, it can be done by a novice but is no simple. I donít have the time to give you the steps, but will post back this evening if no one else has posted on how to do it.
    This is only my opinion, and many will say it ain't worth a darn, as I'm only a retired grease monkey instructor and not a professional mechanic. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.

Mower

Unhappy Re: Toro - Personal Pace drive problem

Thanks Rivets ... I appreciate your comment. Before I posted my question I had been looking at as many YouTube videos as I could and have a good feel for what I need to do to either
    1. just replace the belt (cheaper and relatively easy ... even though the BBC/Spin Stop complicates the basic belt job) or
    2. replace the transmission (expensive and even more involved)

I was just trying to decide if I should proceed with buying a belt and doing a belt repair or jump straight to buying and installing the transmission. Based on your opinion (which basically matches my guess) I'll just start with the belt job. Once I actually continue with the disassembly, I'll likely see what's up with the belt and why it's not spinning.

PS: Up here in Toronto, I haven't even finished using the lawnmower to get my leaves mulched. And today we're getting a freak snow dump, so I had to go out and make sure my snowblower would start. So I guess the lawnmower job will at least be a fix I can work on with a target date of next spring

Mower
    Toro

Go to this website and type in your model and serial numbers. You can get a full service manual here. https://www.toro.com/en/parts/partdetails/?id=40337
    This is only my opinion, and many will say it ain't worth a darn, as I'm only a retired grease monkey instructor and not a professional mechanic. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.

Mower

Quote Originally Posted by Rivets View Post
    Go to this website and type in your model and serial numbers. You can get a full service manual here. https://www.toro.com/en/parts/partdetails/?id=40337
    Thanks again Rivets. I had already downloaded the service manual (it was part of the "research" I did before I even started to take the machine apart). The only "problem" is it's so detailed (182 pages), that it's hard to narrow down the specific pages I want to print out so I can have it beside me, when I start the "surgery", but I'll figure it out. I have all winter. Have to get outside now and get my snow cleared.