Kohler CH740 power issues.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would put it back together, and repair the electrical connections with a splice repair first,
and see how well it runs.

F150Fan80

Threads
New bore end gap is .010-0224 used bore max wear limit is .037 for top and middle rings, they don't give a spec for the oil control ring.

To the OP. that SAM is the Analog Spark Advance Module which requires the kit that I listed. The ring end gaps in the pictures don't look too bad.

Sounds great. I'll look into that kit today and see what I can find. Does Kohler have OEM rebuild kits available or should I just piece everything together? I believe I have found an outfit that does offer kits that they put together themselves but wasn't sure if Kohler actually had anything they do as well. These were OEM Kohler parts as well. Those rings were the top compression rings of each piston back in the same bore. I'll get out the feeler gauge today and see where those stand but they looked decent to my untrained eye. LOL

F150Fan80

Threads
I would put it back together, and repair the electrical connections with a splice repair first,
and see how well it runs.

I think I'll continue with the rebuild since I am already at this stage. I was losing compression somewhere. Maybe I missed it when performing the leak down test but I believed it was coming from the rings and not the valves. I am hoping to get to the heads today and remove the valves to see what their extent of condition is. Between transitioning off of midnights back to the world of the living and on kid control I am not sure how much time I'll actually have working on it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds great. I'll look into that kit today and see what I can find. Does Kohler have OEM rebuild kits available or should I just piece everything together? I believe I have found an outfit that does offer kits that they put together themselves but wasn't sure if Kohler actually had anything they do as well. These were OEM Kohler parts as well. Those rings were the top compression rings of each piston back in the same bore. I'll get out the feeler gauge today and see where those stand but they looked decent to my untrained eye. LOL

Kohler doesn't offer everything in one box rebuilt kits. Just too many variables to do that. Kohler does offer complete gasket kits both with and without seals for some of their engines. But other than rings, gasket set is about all you would need. And the retrofit ignition kit if you decide to go that route.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Probably replace the PTO/sump cover oil seal, since you'll have to remove the cover to access the rods and piston, I wouldn't risk damaging that seal and reusing it.
:2cents:

F150Fan80

Threads
Probably replace the PTO/sump cover oil seal, since you'll have to remove the cover to access the rods and piston, I wouldn't risk damaging that seal and reusing it.
:2cents:

Agreed. Already removed the cover to access those. That seal is a must at this point. Should I replace the opposite seal as well? I plan on removing the flywheel and installing the new magneto kit and was thinking about replacing it as well.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
As long as you're that far, it's cheap insurance

F150Fan80

Threads
As long as you're that far, it's cheap insurance

Exactly.

Thank you all for helping with this. Rebuilding an engine isn't too tough but with all the things I'm learning along the way with this about the more technical aspects that I didn't know and really enjoy learning about its been an absolute great time. I have learned quite a bit from you all about these things and couldn't be more grateful. Thank you all again as I continue to get this Kohler back up to where it should be!!

:drink: :thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Exactly.

Thank you all for helping with this. Rebuilding an engine isn't too tough but with all the things I'm learning along the way with this about the more technical aspects that I didn't know and really enjoy learning about its been an absolute great time. I have learned quite a bit from you all about these things and couldn't be more grateful. Thank you all again as I continue to get this Kohler back up to where it should be!!

:drink: :thumbsup:

Kohler parts are what I would call a reasonable price ( Briggs parts are under priced & Kawakasi parts tend towards over priced ) .
Some will say Kohler parts are expensive so pull the parts out , measure & check everything before you start to order parts.
If you are not feeling confident the post the full list of what you intend to replace.
I am sure there will be enough contradicing opinions to totally confuse you.:laughing: