Kohler CH740 power issues.

F150Fan80

Threads
I did go to that link. The standard replacement rings for my style piston are no longer available from there either. It wants to supercede to the new style piston and ring assembly. I found someone with NOS OEM standard rings for my pistons on eBay. Those are way cheaper than a new piston and rings. The new pistons use a thinner ring at 1.2 mm instead of what mine uses, a 1.5 mm thick ring.

Parts have been ordered. Now it’s time to get everything ready to put back together once parts arrive.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
:thumbsup:
Be sure to pre lube everything, during reassembly , with at least oil.
I usually use assembly lube on bearing surfaces/wrist pin, and coat the cylinders walls rings with engine oil.

And I guess your going to hone too

F150Fan80

Threads
:thumbsup:
Be sure to pre lube everything, during reassembly , with at least oil.
I usually use assembly lube on bearing surfaces/wrist pin, and coat the cylinders walls rings with engine oil.

And I guess your going to hone too

Yup!! The hone will definitely be coming out! I did manage to get some time to go out tonight for a little while and what I found actually surprised me. Here are some pictures of what I found after I removed the flywheel. Needless to say I wasn't very happy. It appears as though the shaft seal behind it has been weeping at the least for some time now. It was so packed in there around the stator and the magnets on the flywheel, oil/dirt/grease/grass. I have a new flywheel coming for the conversion so I am not too worried about that. However, the stator I could be. I will be checking resistance on it tomorrow to at least see what I get however I still wonder about it. I did manage to clean both the stator and the old flywheel (just in case) up quite a bit. I was wondering what you all thought about this. Even if the stator checks out resistance wise, should it be replaced? I also wonder if this is why I was probably having spark or power issues well after the engine warmed up.

Before the cleaning:

IMG_7417.jpgIMG_7418.jpgIMG_7419.jpgIMG_7420.jpgIMG_7428.jpgIMG_7429.jpg

After cleaning:

IMG_7432.jpgIMG_7431.jpgIMG_7426.jpgIMG_7425.jpgIMG_7424.jpgIMG_7433.jpg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why would you replace the alternator?
How much are the new flywheel and coils?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Stator looks good to me, usually if a wire isn't burnt/charred or broke it ought to be good.
It's probably not the season you were having power issues, all they stator does is charge the battery.

F150Fan80

Threads
Why would you replace the alternator?
How much are the new flywheel and coils?

The magneto and flywheel kit was just over $100 if I remember correctly. I am a little worried about heat. The grass/oil/dirt/grease mash was so tight in around the coils that they wouldn't be able to breathe properly. Excessive heat is the number one killer of stators from what I've seen.

F150Fan80

Threads
Stator looks good to me, usually if a wire isn't burnt/charred or broke it ought to be good.
It's probably not the season you were having power issues, all they stator does is charge the battery.

I hope so. Who knows how much heat was being kept in there with all that crap around the magnets and coils. I just hope it didn't do any real damage. If there was any real damage I couldn't see it. That seal must have been leaking for a long time. If I hadn't pulled the flywheel who knows if I would have ever caught that seal leaking.

F150Fan80

Threads
All,

It appears that all the parts I had ordered arrived today while I was at work. I may get a chance tomorrow after work to start but more than likely it will restart on Monday. Can't wait to get this thing back up and running strong again.

IMG_7447.jpgIMG_7448.jpg

F150Fan80

Threads
I know that it's been a while since I have posted but I wanted to give an update. I haven't had much time to spend on the engine lately due to work, the Thanksgiving holiday, kid stuff, etc. I was able to get the heads back together. I lapped the valves before reassembling those. There was one head that the intake valve took quite a bit longer to do than the others. I suspect I missed that one leaking during the leak down test. Damn newbies. Anyway, those are all oiled and ready to go back on. I have the case all cleaned up, honed, crank seal replaced, and the crankshaft and new flywheel installed. It's ready for the piston and rod assemblies (redone) to be installed. While cleaning the case cover, or sump cover, my dumb self put way to much pressure on the cover at one point snapping the oil pump pickup in the process. That part should be here today or tomorrow. My goal is to have the engine back together this weekend at some point. I will update this as more progress, hopefully, is made. Thanks for hanging in there with me!!