Crankshaft Oil Seal Installation Issue

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most "cities" with businesses that actually produce something, will have what I call 'bearing supply houses.' That's because the machines that produces things have bearings and bearings eventually wear out.

They carry bearings, seals and the assorted paraphernalia that goes with with bearings.

firedawgsatx

Threads
I am a small fry and independent so all of my oil seals are in the oil seal box
Thus you walk in and ask for an oil seal I ask have you got the old one then match it with what I have in the box.
Mr big multi franchise usually has no oil seals and orders them in as required.
If they do they are in bins according to the size of the part for most efficient storage so unless the computer gives them a bin number they can not find a suitable match.

My parts suppliers only carry a very limited range so I get most of them from an engineering supply company.
A pack of 10 is about the same price as 3 single so I usually get a pack.

Unfortunately, I destroyed the seal during the removal process because someone has installed it upside down and it was pushed down too far. Because the seal was upside down I couldn't even look for numbers on it to identify the seal. I have submitted a request for assistance on the Briggs web-site.

firedawgsatx

Threads
Most "cities" with businesses that actually produce something, will have what I call 'bearing supply houses.' That's because the machines that produces things have bearings and bearings eventually wear out.

They carry bearings, seals and the assorted paraphernalia that goes with with bearings.

Thanks for that tip! I live in San Antonio so I am relatively sure there are some local bearing supply houses that I will seek out.

firedawgsatx

Threads
That is what i figured to be true. While searching for photos of the sump on the internet there appears to be two different versions of the sump with part number 498983. They look extremely close in appearance except for a slight variation of the pattern of the casting on the exterior side and one version has a collar around the opening and the other version does not. My sump is the one with the collar.

I contacted Briggs & Stratton about the issue I am having with installing the oil seal. They stated that there was only one version of the #498983 sump I have on my engine and advised me to contact an authorized B&S service center. Well, on my sump I have a ring/collar (maybe a spacer) insert around the hole that is keeping the oil seal from going in. Looking at on-line photos of the sump with p/n 498983 there is no ring/collar on the sump like the one on my sump. I am wondering is there is a version of the sump that incorporates the ring/collar that appears to fit inside the opening of the pump on the pressure washer. The OD of the oil seal the parts diagrams show is the correct seal for the engine is 1.693". The bore where the oil seal seats (below the ring/collarinsert) is only 1.430". I have attached a photo of my sump (with the ring) and a photo I found on-line of a sump #498983.

Attachments

• Sump D.jpg
    Sump D.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Oil Sump.jpg
    Oil Sump.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 8

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the first photo the oil seal is way too deep.
Usually they would go in about 1/16" or so below the top edge of the hole so they are just not flush with the face of the hole to avoid mechanical damage.
The Briggs man would have looked up the parts file and seen that your engine number has only one sump, ie there are no alternative ones on the file.
Weather there were previous versions that superceeded to the current one is a different story.

firedawgsatx

Threads
In the first photo the oil seal is way too deep.
Usually they would go in about 1/16" or so below the top edge of the hole so they are just not flush with the face of the hole to avoid mechanical damage.
The Briggs man would have looked up the parts file and seen that your engine number has only one sump, ie there are no alternative ones on the file.
Weather there were previous versions that superceeded to the current one is a different story.

Thanks for the feedback! This issue is extremely frustrating. It appears that at this point I will be forced to purchase a new sump with the oil seal already installed. The problem is that sumps with the listed part number don't have the raised ring/collar. So far, I can't determine if that is actually even a concern. When I started I thought it was going to be an easy operation removing and installing a $5 part.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Usually sumps don't come with the seal installed

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You may have to bite the bullet and order one. And find out.
Be sure returns are accepted though.. IMHO:confused3:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there anything left of your old seal to measure the OD and width? It ID will be determined by the crankshaft.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Take the sump along to your local bearing supplier alone with the measurement of the crankshaft
Ask them for a seal to fit.
If you ask them nicely a lot will actually push the seal in
As mentioned earlier the seal goes just below the very end of the hole
From your photo it looks like the sump has a larger hole , which is where the seal would go then a step then a smaller hole then an even smaller hole for the crank shaft to run on.
People do all sorts of strange things to engines for all sorts of reasons so unless you have owned this one from new anything could have happened.
IT was not uncommon for machinists to buy junked engines that have siezed then machine the cases for a bush.
Of junked sunps plates and machine the opening larger for an oversized seal because the sump plate was damaged.