Tiger Cub hydraulic motor leaks

ThomasV

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am new to the forum, and appreciate having contacts to discuss with.

I have a 2013 Tiger Cub. The left hydraulic motor leaks fluid, it appears to be a seal and not a hose connection, but I am not positive. The leak is not heavy, the motor functions correctly. I would like to stop the leak of course.

If I end up needing to rebuild it, is there any good instructions for doing so? I did see a youtube video on a motor rebuild, I think it was on a Cub Cadet but looked to be fairly straightforward. The motor is a PG-1KCC-DY1X. I was looking underneath, I dont see a tensioner to remove the belt? Also, do the pulleys require a puller to remove?

Thanks for your comments!
Tom

Luffydog

Threads
The pg number is a pump not the wheel motor. Most time the hoses leak the clamp gets loose and allows it to leak at times. They are kinda hard to get to unless you remove the bar for the seat. The other on top has a seal that leaks sometimes. The pulleys on the bottom have little bolts you remove from one hole and put them in the other to remove them. These bolts are short and weak and they will not pull the pulley all the off. Don't not use a impact or you will break them off. You might have to use a hammer and go up and down until it comes off. Their is a key way in the shaft of the pump so look for it as well. Now for the belt. Right in front of the motor is a slot in that slot is a half inch drive hole put in a extension with ratchet and turn to remove the belt also can be done from underneath the machine. Maybe this will help ya with your leaks and belt issue.

ThomasV

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply. Yes, it is a pump,not wheel motor. I'm trying to decide if I should get seals for the pump and rebuild it, or just try installing new low pressure hoses. Do you have a recommended online place to get the seal kit?

Not sure what you meant with this comment : The pulleys on the bottom have little bolts you remove from one hole and put them in the other to remove them Is there several bolts that hold each drive pulley on, or is it one nut on the shaft?

Is there any video or instructions on pump rebuild?

Thanks,
Tom

Luffydog

Threads
Might be a few on the YouTube but not sure on yours but maybe kinda of something to the relation. On the under side of the mower where the drive belt is there is your pulleys. There are 2 bolts that hold the pulley on with a cone shape. Have to remove those bolts out of those holes because they are threaded which holds the pulleys in place. Put them in the other holes to push the cone from the pulley to separate them for removal. Take your numbers off of the pump and look up rebuild kit or seal kit for them. Or enter you scag model number and look for parts there. Best I can remember they are not to cheap to buy and takes a little while to remove take apart rebuild and install. Been awhile since I have done one. Most times what a warranty on a rebuilt plus time and parts and when the big time mowers was wanting the mower just replace them and with a 90 day warranty just about as cheap as the rebuild.

Luffydog

Threads
Forgot to say when taking apart the top watch out for springs and little balls and where they go and how they go. Can be easy to loose and kinda tricky.

ThomasV

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did get the bolts out of the pulley, but as you said they are weak and placing them in the other holes will not pull the pulley off. This pulley is being stubborn, perhaps a puller will work? I dont have a puller that fits between the cone and pulley. Any other tricks?

When you want to put the pulley on, hopefully the bolts are strong enough to snug the cone back into place?

Tom

Luffydog

Threads
If you have a little air hammer that will work as well just don't damage the holes or bolts. Also a hammer and a chisel to kinda force it out as well. Might have to take the bolts in and out to get pressure on the cone to help. Sometimes know what you do they can be a pain and stubborn. The ole wd-40 helps as well. Also might have to put washer in between the cone and pulley and tighten bolts down on the washers for more leverage and to take up the space to help pull them down. A forked ball joint remover that you can strike is also good. Take and strike and spin the pulley and repeat. Make sure not to hit the bolts and damage the holes. Patience is key!!!!