Troybilt Pony - B&S 17hp Starting Problem

KenH99

Threads
Thanks guys for the good info.

Decided to buy a new carb. Found a B&S OEM #594593 here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IQXE5CG , decent price, fast delivery. Also ordered a shut-off to put in the feed line. Is there anything else I need??

I watched a few videos on rebuilding that carb and it seemed doable but the idea of a turnkey fix won out.

Drained the oil. No surprise but definitely gas was in it.

I am able to turn the flywheel. There is a resistance point but am able to push through it and hear air escaping.

Ken

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Hope it comes with new gaskets.:wink:
You *might*:rolleyes: can get by with reusing the old ones, but air leak could start it surging.

KenH99

Threads
Hope it comes with new gaskets.:wink:
You *might*:rolleyes: can get by with reusing the old ones, but air leak could start it surging.

It comes with an intake gasket. What else is needed?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cranking with fuel in the combustion chamber can blow the head gasket.
Always best to pull the spark plug & rotate the engine by hand a few times to expell excess fuel.
Cranking the engine cab cause the ejected fuel to ignite, not fun.

KenH99

Threads
I'm back. Weather and other tasks have delayed getting this done. Received new OEM carb and installed. Having a major problem getting the choke to work.

1. The new carb's choke shaft spring was loose when I got it. I think I got it attached properly but can't be sure because no instructions to guide me. I will say it's a stronger spring action than the old carb.

2. I re-attached the throttle rod and spring and the choke lever then installed carb.

3. When the throttle/choke control is moved to the full up or choke position it does NOT move the choke. It seems that the angle is wrong to get the correct leverage.

4. The cable is adjusted to the max.

5. Please check the pics and see if any of you can spot something wrong? Installed properly?

Suggestions appreciated!

Here are links to two short videos that show the problem much better than I can describe. One is just a higher res version than the other.

https://youtu.be/8RHimWn_W4A

https://youtu.be/F-vuLhFCjzU

Thanks, Ken

20191121_120926.jpg20191121_120909.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I notice there are 1 or 2 other holes in the choke arm on the carb. Might try
A diff hole. I know it's a pain in the butt to take off stuff, and put back on,take off, put back.
:2cents:

KenH99

Threads
I notice there are 1 or 2 other holes in the choke arm on the carb. Might try
A diff hole. I know it's a pain in the butt to take off stuff, and put back on,take off, put back.
:2cents:

Did that. Tried both of the holes on that side of the arm. No difference. Didn't try the hole on opposite side because it would just pull the choke linkage even farther away from the (? governor control) lever.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Choke shaft is broke. There is supposed to be a stop tab to prevent the shaft from rotating past the point where the choke butterfly is straight. That tab is broke off of the shaft allowing the shaft to over rotate and then jam like in the picture and the video.

KenH99

Threads
Choke shaft is broke. There is supposed to be a stop tab to prevent the shaft from rotating past the point where the choke butterfly is straight. That tab is broke off of the shaft allowing the shaft to over rotate and then jam like in the picture and the video.

Thank you.

That's a brand new (supposedly) B&S carb! From B&S via Amazon. Just confirmed that by comparing to old carb. That's probably why the spring was loose when I got it. It looks like I can't switch the choke shaft w/old one because the new butterfly has nubs on both sides to prevent it from being removed from the shaft like I could do with the old one.

Damn.