Troy-Bilt 420 cc OHV Vertical Shaft Engine stop running like out of gas

jcueland

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy-Bilt 420 cc OHV Vertical Shaft Engine stop running like out of gas
I have a Troy-Bilt 33" Wide Cut Mower TB WC33 XP with a 420 cc OHV Vertical Shaft Engine. The lawn mower will run maybe 20 minutes and then dies like it's out of gas. It will then start again but then stop after ~5 minutes of run time...the process repeats with the run duration shortening until it won't start at all. I'll let the lawn mower sit for 20 minutes and then it starts again. I feel like I've tried everything but it keeps stopping. It has 155 hours on it. I've done the following:

- Cleaned carburetor (although it looked totally fine)
- New spark plug
- New gas filter
- Cleaned out air filter
- New gas

What else could I try to fix this?

Here's a video of the lawnmower on how it sounds when it randomly stops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JFh46HU0kY&feature=youtu.be

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you remove the fuel line from the carb check the flow of fuel from the line. It should flow with the speed of a full line, If you are getting little or no flow then there is a restriction either in the line or the outlet of the tank. Could also be a restricted fuel cap causing loss of flow, but that should allow it to start back up after a few seconds of removing the fuel cap..

Could also be a restriction between the fuel inlet on the carb, and the float valve.

jcueland

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you remove the fuel line from the carb check the flow of fuel from the line. It should flow with the speed of a full line, If you are getting little or no flow then there is a restriction either in the line or the outlet of the tank. Could also be a restricted fuel cap causing loss of flow, but that should allow it to start back up after a few seconds of removing the fuel cap..

Could also be a restriction between the fuel inlet on the carb, and the float valve.

Thanks...I did try that and the flow of fuel seemed fast enough. Any other ideas?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Run a full tank through and see if the flow slows down.
Debris in the tank can form a plug when the fuel is being drawn the outlet hole
So when you just undo the fuel like, the flow looks good then after a minute or two it just stops.