15HP Command CV426 Won't Start

Threads
I tried another compression tester kit and this time I got 50psi. Also the gauge would hold pressure where the other one didn't so this leads me to believe the first gauge was leaking. Also, I really don't know how much I believe if I have good or bad compression from this because I was reading in the engine service manual that there is a ACR (Automatic Compression Release) mechanism that is there for easier starting. I know ScrubCadet you mentioned this already. The manual stated its better to do a leak down test. I don't have access to the tool, but maybe can come up with something after I research it.

So assuming I have compression. Im going back to the carburetor. Im going to soak the original in carb cleaner for a day or two and swap the needle and float from the China carb I got. See what happens after a really good cleaning. Also I noticed on the china carb has air cutouts in the flapper on the throttle valve. The original one did not so maybe that is why the new one will not work. If all fails still then, I will tear the engine down for fun and see what if might need. If there isn't anything alarming that is going to require a bunch of parts Ill buy a rebuild kit I've seen online for $100 and rebuild it. If I suck at that, then I guess Ill go buy a used mower for next season which I will make sure does not have a Kohler engine as maybe the lesson learned is they need to stick to making toilets and shower heads :)

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I wouldn't attempt to swap the seat from the Chineseium carb.
You risk damaging it, and possibly flooding your engine
Then again I said I wouldn't attempt it

50 PSI, on a ACR, I usually get 80 with Briggs push mower 6.5 horse.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start with nice new plugs.
Now spray a VERY SMALL AMOUNT of carb cleaner down the plug hole. replace the plug and crank the engine.
If it fires then the spark timing is good.
If it backfires out of the carb or exhaust you have a valve problem.

Assuming you get a bang or two, repeat but this time spray a VERY SHORT SHOT of carb cleaner down the carburettor throat.
If the engine fires then you have a fuel supply problem
IF not then you have a valve problem.

When it comes to using sprays, less is better than more.
If you spray too much then you can wet the plug and cause it to short so you get no spark.
I have seen people start to spray the gunk down the carb for near a minute before they hit the starter.
They then tell me "this shite never works"