Painting a pushmower deck

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'm working on a Murray 22" with a Briggs Quantum ( 12H802-2483-b1)
Anyway, I want to clean it up once I get it running and make it 'look '
New, the anyway the decks paint is flaking off, and under the paint is rusting.
Not crumbling rust, but it's getting there.
I'm thinking of stripping the remaining paint, killing the rust(or sanding it down) ,put a primer coat then paint it red again.
My questions are
1. What's the best rust killer I can either spray or brush on.
2. And so you think a primer coat, then paint is necessary?
Any opinions appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By a very long margin the absolute best rust treatment is PPC's POR15.
POR = Paint Over Rust.
It is a multi step process and takes some time to do but once done nothing will ever rust again.
The undercoat is bullet proof but degrades when exposed to UV light so must have 2 top coats over it.
Most professional restorers use it in particular on chassis where they get peppered with rocks that chip off every other paint.
Better still you can do it in your shed because the fumes are not toxic like all 2 pack paints .
The other downside is the brushes can not be cleaned so you need a new brush for each coat.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sandblast would be the best thing for the rust, then a shot of self etch primer to seal it. Give it a couple coats of high build primer or some laquer glazing putty, and sand it all down. Lay on a couple coats of paint. But first thing is to give it a real good cleaning with some real powerful degreaser/cleaner. I use Purple Power stuff, cheap, strong. Burns your eyes, takes some skin off, but works. I usually scrape and pressure wash the underside, coat with aluminum paint.