deck belt install?

donelwell

Threads
I have a Z254F husq. tore belt up somehow. checked all mandrels , all idlers are fine. belt bought is exact same as oem. How the heck do I get that belt on? there is a spring and I bolt, even disconnected wont go on pullies. Please tell me what I am not doing. thankyou

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For starters please supply the mower model numbers off the ID tag on the mower.
Then the brand & number of the belt you are using.
The actual belt routing will be in your owners manual and some are not as strait forward as one would hope for.

Convert

Threads
Is there a tension lever on the deck?.
If there is release the tension bar and you should have enough slack to install the belt.
Done. Move lever back and lock in place.

Convert
Tom

AVB

Threads
You need a spring hook tool to remove the tension on the spring loaded idler pulley. With the tool you pull against the spring tension.

Also note: IF you purchased an after market belt they can be the wrong length even if the package and the belt is labeled correctly. This why I had to buy a V-belt measuring tool.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A trick I have found that if you don’t have a spring puller, a length of rope can be used. You can get more leverage and less chance of it slipping. Also, non OEM belts can be the same length, but will have a different angle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A trick I picked up from a little old lady was to put a ratchet tie down on the tension arm to stretch against the spring.
She puts the free end on the tension arm so the ratchet can be placed where it is easy to get at.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, if at sometime in the future you need to do this, would you send me a pic how this is done. My brain does not compute this, but if it saves my old back, I’m willing to learn a new trick.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am on "light duties" at present but there are a couple of ride on in te yard for when the feeling returns to my hands so it might be a week or two.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No worries or rush, just would like to learn something new.