New Intek Engine Smoking on Startup (also hard starting)

inkek23

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New Intek Engine Smoking on Startup (also hard starting)
So I picked up my neighbors Craftsman DL3500 with a blown engine over the summer. In august I picked up a new 20HP Briggs Intek from the local Northern Tool. Was basically a drop in replacement.

First ~10 hours on the engine it was great. I broke it in gently for 5 hours using the "Approved" Briggs 30 weight oil, then switched over to generic 5W-30 Synthetic.

Recently (lets say 12 hours roughly), it has started smoking pretty good after cold startup. The first time it smoked pretty good for 2-4 minutes, then went away as the engine heated up. No smoke at all on restarts, just cold start.

Today I started it up again and it definitely smoked less, but still for a good 1 min.

I pulled the spark plug tonight and it had all the signs of burning oil (blackened, sticky oil on it). Oil was not overfilled, and did not smell like gas at all.

So perhaps unrelated, but this engine has always required about 20-30 seconds of cranking to start when cold. Doesn't sputter or anything, simply no fire for 30 seconds, then boom pops right up. Once it is warmed up it starts perfectly. Initially I considered this unrelated, but doing a big of googling, perhaps they are related. I attributed this to my extra long fuel hose, which I added a loop and a shut off valve to. It technically loops below gravity of the carb and back up, so I assumed it was just an oddity of that. Fuel tank and pump are about 2 inches apart, not really possible to stick a straight hose there, it goes down 6 inches, to a shut off, and back up to pump.

Once it gets going I don't see or hear any signs of a tired / weak engine. It ran right though the thick leaves and grass, while going up a pretty steep hill (hydraulic tranny groaning).

It has a vacuum operated fuel pump, and full lubrication system.

Anyone have any pointers on things to try? Like I said 10 hours and 3 months old, if it's not something simple I'm just gonna start a warranty claim with Briggs.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
On taking so long to crank, have you verified the choke is closing and functioning properly?

inkek23

Forum Newbie
Threads
On taking so long to crank, have you verified the choke is closing and functioning properly?

No, I have not. I saw the electronic wires going to the carb and assumed some type of electric choke.

Is the choke on these manual?

Do I have to push it past full throttle to engage it?

(I will go look tomorrow morning and probably get a definitive answer)

I'm gonna feel pretty dumb if it is a manual choke :).

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
That's the anti back fire solenoid. With the wires going to it.
You should be able to see the choke butterfly open and close if You take the air filter off.
Depending On The mower, you may have to push the throttle control all The way up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Multi grade ols will tend to leak more when the engine is off than monogrades.
SO a bit of oil smoke on start up will be normal till you get some carbon build up inside the engine.

inkek23

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's the anti back fire solenoid. With the wires going to it.
You should be able to see the choke butterfly open and close if You take the air filter off.
Depending On The mower, you may have to push the throttle control all The way up.

Ok so a few things.

Manually operating the choke allowed the cold engine to fire right up. After tinkering for a bit, I realized I do have an auto-choke, BUT someone from the factory placed a screw into a hole that stops the throttle from moving past full. Effectively, this disabled my auto-choke as i couldn't push past full throttle. Removing this stop screw and I can see the choke move in and out while I move the throttle. Kind of annoying,but whatever it is fixed.

Secondly, no smoke while starting this morning. So at this point I'm willing to believe the theory that the synthetic 5W-30 will leak out into improper places while it sits. I'm going to start it every couple weeks in the cold here to see what happens and to make sure too much oil doesn't build up.

Thanks everyone for the pointers, much appreciated!

Last edited: