John Deer LTR180

RocDoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
This has certainly been an expensive mower to maintain, worst than my Harley believe it or not. The problem this time is the mower just kept getting wear & weaker going up inclines until it finally wouldn't do it any more in forward or reverse. Took in back to my dealer Blanchard John Deere in Ridge Spring SC & they looked at & called me & stated that it needs the drive belts & spindles replaced at a cost of $825.00. Which I think is out of line. Called two other dealers & they both stated that it should not cost over $500, which I can live with. I had already taken the deck & grass shoot off but don't have anything to lift the mower up high enough for me to reach the drive belts. My part wasn't difficult & I can't see what a big deal it would be to reach & replace the needed parts if you have a lift to get to them. So am I getting ripped off or what? By the way I also own a 20 year old Craftsman Pro 20hp which has cost very little to work on, what little work it has needed, and it is a 42 inch cut & twice the mower that the JD is. I think I'll stick with Craftsman or maybe a Snapper from now own. Had an old Snapper rear engine riding mower that my Dad owned for 25 years & then gave it to me & I used it for 10 years or so until I sold it to a friend who still uses it. It's probably close to 40 years old now.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get under the mower with a strong light and look at the root of the spindle pulley.
If it is polished shiny like the sides are then the spindle is worn past it's limit & will cause the belt to slip big time.

The rear pulleys are prone to slipping on the shaft as it only has a shallow spline to provide grip.

I would tend to side with Scrubby.
Take the brake off then try to push the mower without activating the bypass.
It should be very hard to push.
If it pushes fairly easy then the hydro is shot.
They are good for around 500 hrs.

As for the dealer I always deliberately quote a lt higher than I think the repair will go to.
Funny when it comes out cheaper by 10¢ they are over the moon but if it ends up being 10¢ over on a $ 500 job, they carry on like I just cut their crown jewels off with a rusty knife

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
You've found a typical JD rip off dealer.

If you own a pickup truck or trailer, with a pair of loading ramps, either shop built or purchased you can elevate most tractors to a more convenient height.

Attachments

• murray elevated 07.jpg
    murray elevated 07.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 5

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

If you own a pickup truck or trailer, with a pair of loading ramps, either shop built or purchased you can elevate most tractors to a more convenient height.

Or a rope and a tree branch.
Remove battery, cap off fuel tank with cling wrap then screw the cap back on tight
Remove the deck, release the drive by-pass and hoist the mower vertical.
I use a yard crane to do this after a friend who has been doing mowers for 50 years showed me how he did it, with a big tripod & a chain block.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads

Now that is pretty darn slick. No lifting and stooping, hard on my old back. Get a stool and have a seat.