Who built it?

Elfiero

Threads
Can someone tell me who built the 90s "F" engines after Toro bought lawn boy? I have a '97 F series that runs really smooth as compared to the Duraforce models I own. I live in Mpls., and have driven by the Toro plant many times, and I don't think they have an engine plant there. I also have a Toro CCR 2450 snow blower with the R-tek 141cc engine. It says Briggs right on it. I must say, it sure sounds a lot like a Duraforce.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

The R-Tek and Duraforce engines are similar. I can't say for sure who built these engines for Lawn-Boy. Usually when a company is "acquired" from another company, R&D is still carried out by the previous company.

Regards

Jeff Pittel

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
LawnBoy F-Series were built by LawnBoy, even after Toro acquired them.

Russ2251

Threads
Duraforce and R-TEK* engines are very close relatives.
The Duraforce (model E) is a reed ported mower engine (exclusively) and was manufactured by TORO/Lawn-Boy.
The R-TEK* is the piston ported cousin of the Duraforce and was manufactured by Briggs & Stratton and was exclusively used on snowblowers.
Some parts are interchangeable such as flywheel, connecting rod, piston rings, wrist pin (not piston), cylinder head, blower housing (with recoil), CDI, bearings (all), and various hardware.
The Duraforce is the superior performer of any of the Lawn-Boy mills.

Last edited: