benrobles

Forum Newbie
Threads
My name is Ben Robles. I bought a John Deere JS 63 self propelled push mower at a garage sale recently. The vendor told me it was leaking gas from the carburetor. It seemed to have decent compression so I gave him the $40 dollars that he was asking. I took it home and changed the needle and seat, filled it with gas and got the mower going. I changed the oil because gasoline had leaked into the crankcase. This mower has a B&S 6.5 hp Intek with ohv and primer bulb start. Engine model no. 121602 0269e1
010523FA. The engine runs well but I can hear a faint "ploomp" sound coming from the engine every once in a while. Is this an exhaust valve that needs adjustment?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Could be in need of adjustment.
Or not sealing well. I know my courage has made that sound since day 1 and runs fine

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our John Deere section.

D

Deleted member 97405

My name is Ben Robles. I bought a John Deere JS 63 self propelled push mower at a garage sale recently. The vendor told me it was leaking gas from the carburetor. It seemed to have decent compression so I gave him the $40 dollars that he was asking. I took it home and changed the needle and seat, filled it with gas and got the mower going. I changed the oil because gasoline had leaked into the crankcase. This mower has a B&S 6.5 hp Intek with ohv and primer bulb start. Engine model no. 121602 0269e1
010523FA. The engine runs well but I can hear a faint "ploomp" sound coming from the engine every once in a while. Is this an exhaust valve that needs adjustment?

It may need a carburetor. Also, the black part that the primer bulb is mounted on was known to warp where it mounts against the carburetor and create an air leak as well that would cause the engine to not run smoothely. Essentially, if the black part was warped, the engine would pull unfiltered air past the gasket.