Best small engines of all time

Lsw0n

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking for opinions on the best small engines out there, new or old, up to 30hp for use in riding mowers. Please include any model numbers or the application it was installed into if possible. If the engine is bulletproof, Im listening, enlighten me :D

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Briggs I/C (which are similar to old inteks, I think)engines are pretty good. I had one fire right up after sitting for 10 years. New oil and fuel of course.

This video may be helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0DdGmmFaAs

But the truth is, everyone has had different experiences with engines and engine manufacturers, one guy might recommend a Intek engine over a Kohler Courage, someone else might like the Courage over a intek.
I would prefer equipment with a Kawasaki engine, because I have a Kawsaki horizontal shaft engine that has been running for 20 years. Only new p piston rings.original crank,cam and rod. And no major problems.

Romore

Threads
The Briggs L-head would be my choice, simple and reliable plus parts are reasonably priced and readily available. Trouble is the last of those were built years ago so any in service are well past the best before date.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Best engine out there was the Tecumseh SnowKing engine. Sorry it won’t work in a tractor, but you asked for the best engine. Even though Tecumseh has been out of business for 10+ years, there are still thousands of these units powering blowers all over the country.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Must be a good engine, the company that made it went out of business :rolleyes:
I kid, I kid.......:wink:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Must be a good engine, the company that made it went out of business :rolleyes:
I kid, I kid.......:wink:

When they make it too good, they get no more sales. Many went out that way.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hard to say on these new engines but the old Kohler flatheads, singles and twins, seem to run forever at least for the average homeowner.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tecumseh always made a good engine, went out of business due to very poor management. Have to agree the Kohler K-Series comes in a very close second.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
What became of Clinton engines? Did they become Tecumseh?

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll throw in my old Flathead Briggs, 159cc, still runs like a clock.