Best small engines of all time

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What became of Clinton engines? Did they become Tecumseh?
From Wikipedia

Clinton Machine Company manufactured small gasoline engines, and by 1956 they were the tenth largest employer in Iowa. They changed their name to Clinton Engines Corporation in 1958. It was at this time that farmers began working in the factory and farmed around their shift work.[3] Thomas sold the company to the Charnay Group, an investment company based in New York City. The company manufactured engines for washing machines, chain saws, outboard motors, industrial air circulation fans, and lawn mowers for a variety of companies.[2] It won the President's "E" Award in 1966. However, the Charnay Group failed to adequately support Clinton Engines financially, and it had to file for bankruptcy the same year. Clinton Engines was sold to Martin Hoffinger, a New York investor, who operated the company on a reduced basis. It was eventually downsized to produce spare parts for engine repairs. By 1999 there were only about 35 employees left. The plant was in disrepair when it closed that year. In 2000 the facility was donated to the city of Maquoketa, who tore down the factory and maintained the office building. The Jackson County Historical Society maintains the Clinton Engines Museum, the Jackson County Research & Family History Library, the JCHS Media Arts Center, the Clinton Engines Association, and a large program center in the building.[3]

Lawn Addict
Threads
Very impressive. Good info.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the info on Clinton.

I'd agree on the flathead, horizontal shaft Kohlers.

A friend in the sod business had a roller that was powered by a 10 hp horizontal shaft B&S. It was indestructible. Very old. Recoil start but not recoil; it had the slotted cup that you had to wrap a rope around.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the info on Clinton.

I'd agree on the flathead, horizontal shaft Kohlers.

A friend in the sod business had a roller that was powered by a 10 hp horizontal shaft B&S. It was indestructible. Very old. Recoil start but not recoil; it had the slotted cup that you had to wrap a rope around.

I remember us having a cement mixer that had that rope wind on pulley start. I remember it too well.. LOL

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I remember us having a cement mixer that had that rope wind on pulley start. I remember it too well.. LOL
Only starter I have ever known is recoil and electric.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You must still be a young man then.. LOL

There are other kinds of starters.

First of all, the plain old crank.

Second, hand-spun flywheel (old John Deere tractors)

Kick starter (Maytag washer, motorcycles)

Wind-up crank starters (in lieu of recoil)

Pony motors (old Cat dozers)

Some diesel trucks, notably Mack, had compressed air starters.

I've either used or seen used all of these.

Others I'm aware of are Kreighoff cartridge starters and hand cranked flywheel inertia starters for airplanes. These are circa WWII.

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are other kinds of starters.

First of all, the plain old crank.

Second, hand-spun flywheel (old John Deere tractors)

Kick starter (Maytag washer, motorcycles)

Wind-up crank starters (in lieu of recoil)

Pony motors (old Cat dozers)

Some diesel trucks, notably Mack, had compressed air starters.

I've either used or seen used all of these.

Others I'm aware of are Kreighoff cartridge starters and hand cranked flywheel inertia starters for airplanes. These are circa WWII.

I do have memories of most of those. Pony motors to start Big CAT*s, Air starters for Mack, kick starters, plain old crank. Times sure have changed.

DK35vince

Threads
Hard to say on these new engines but the old Kohler flatheads, singles and twins, seem to run forever at least for the average homeowner.
I still have a 10 HP Kohler K series engine (1978 Wheel Horse) that still runs great after 41 years.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I still have a 10 HP Kohler K series engine (1978 Wheel Horse) that still runs great after 41 years.

They don't make 'em like they used to..