Toro Titan ZX4800 Blade Changing and Mower Lifts

Scott S

Threads
I bought a 2016 Toro Titan ZX4800 and I need to change the blades which I haven't done before on a riding mower.

The operator's manual (Model 74861) mentions just raising the deck to its highest cutting setting to change the blades (4.25 inch cut maximum option). The ZTR weighs 740 pounds. The manual doesn't mention anything about lifting the deck to do it. It's not too difficult to reach the two outside blades with the deflector removed but it is tougher to get to the middle blade and I'd have to basically lie flat on the floor to do it. It's not high enough to get an impact wrench underneath so I'd just use a 24" breaker bar and a socket. It would be awkward, but most likely doable.

I do not have a mower lift or a floor jack so I'd have to buy one. Some folks apparently use a portable shop crane to lift the deck, but I don't have one of those either.

Questions: Is it necessary to buy a mower lift such as a MoJack or a Jungle Jack to change the blades out or a heavy-duty floor jack to raise up the deck to easily change out the blades? Has anybody done it on the Titans without lifting the deck? Is one (mower lift vs. floor jack) preferable over the other?

Lots of people seem to be big fans of either the Mojack or the Jungle Jack (about $200 or so each).

Attachments

• rlc-ttn-74861-zx4800-694x594.jpg
    rlc-ttn-74861-zx4800-694x594.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 56624_W3.jpg
    56624_W3.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
  • mojack-ez-lift-solo.jpg
    mojack-ez-lift-solo.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 0
  • jjjack14.jpg
    jjjack14.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I always set the deck at its highest level to change blades. I use a three ton floor jack (you don’t want to be cheap with safety) placed under the front edge of the deck to get at the blades. That way I can get under the deck easily and scrap it also. As I work in a dealership I’ll do it this way every day.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use a yard crane and a 6' sling around the front wheels
That way you can stand it up till the rear frame touches the ground.
Before that it was an engine crane
Before that it was a chain hoist
Before that it was a block & tackle

When working on ZTR's with the front lifted high it is prudent the remove the spark plugs and spin the engine a few times just in case the cylinders have filled with fuel or oil

Scott S

Threads
I use a yard crane and a 6' sling around the front wheels
That way you can stand it up till the rear frame touches the ground.
Before that it was an engine crane
Before that it was a chain hoist
Before that it was a block & tackle

When working on ZTR's with the front lifted high it is prudent the remove the spark plugs and spin the engine a few times just in case the cylinders have filled with fuel or oil

Thank you!

Scott S

Threads
Thank you!