carburettor spring etc positions

jndshrews

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi - I have just joined the forum, so thank you in advance.
I have acquired a very old rotavator with a Briggs engine - the serial number is no longer legible but from various sources it is likely to be late 70s/early 80s.
Everything seems to work mechanically, and it has a spark. But the carb (I think it is a choke a matic) had some very odd connections, and the layout is not the same as any in the B&S workshop manual, especially the distance of the governor lever (A) on the attached.
If there are any wise folk out there that can either tell me which spring/connecting wire goes from/to points ABCDE, or could refer me to a picture, I would be most grateful and another old B&S engine will live again (and my plot will be dug!)
Many thanks
Jonathan Davies

Attachments

• Carb linkages lettered.jpg
    Carb linkages lettered.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 16

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think I can help you, but I need you to check again for model, type and code numbers. You are going to need both a governor link and spring, but without numbers I would only be guessing which ones. The numbers are located under the blue paint I see in you picture. If you remove the paint I’ll bet you will find them. I would try using a small brass wire brush and lacquer thinner. Briggs stamped them in quite deep and they last along time. Give us as many as you can find.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I should have said that the numbers were on the shroud under the blue paint above the spark plug. Sorry for any confusion.

jndshrews

Forum Newbie
Threads
Very many thanks for this, Rivets. Encouraged by your advice I found the numbers under, not only the paint, but also under the remains of a sticker. The numbers are:
100902 0349-01 76081107
Many thanks in anticipation
Jonathan

jndshrews

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just seen your second: the numbers I have quoted are above the exhaust.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Numbers help a lot. I’m attaching a service manual if you don’t have one. Look at the figure #40 in Sec 5 Page 19 which should be your unit. First there should be a second hole under the hole you have labeled A. You need two parts, a throttle link part #260654 and a governor spring part #260703. The governor spring will go from hole A to hole C. The throttle link will go from the hole below hole A to hole D. If this does not seem right please post a couple more pictures of the sides of the carb, as there were a couple different carbs used back in 1976, when your engine was built. Don’t purchase any parts until we are reasonably sure of what you have. https://doc-04-5o-docs.googleuserco...253/*/0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00?e=download

jndshrews

Forum Newbie
Threads
You really are a total star - very many thanks. Unfortunately the link says that I don't have permission to view it, and the page/fig numbers are different from my 1989 Briggs manual. Any chance you could post a photo of the fig you mention please?
I really do appreciate your responses and help
Jonathan

Attachments

• IMG_20191024_093429138.jpg
    IMG_20191024_093429138.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 1

jndshrews

Forum Newbie
Threads
Brilliant - many thanks indeed. Now to try it out!
Huge appreciation
Jonathan