Motor Dies but Immediately Re-starts

JRonascag

Threads
Got a curious issue on my Scag Turf Tiger, 27hp Kohler Command engine (model number is STT52A-27CH and Mower Serial number is 9360106). It's about 10 yrs old with ~500hrs. Used only for my 5-acre lot.

During my last two mowings, I was going along happily and suddenly the motor dies, with no sputtering or any kind of warning. I hit the key and it re-starts immediately as if nothing had happened. I don't have a lot of data points yet as the problem has just started occurring, but it has generally been about 1/2 hour or more into mowing. It happened twice yesterday in about a 15-minute interval and then ran like a champ the rest of the time.

I know that the sky is the limit here as to possible causes, but just hoping you can recommend a few things to check first. For instance, I'm wondering if the fuel pump could be going bad or is there a particular safety sensor that is prone to misbehave, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Luffydog

Threads
Check to see motor is loose causing a bad ground. Also follow the ground wire from battery to the motor. Also need to check the main fuse holder if it had poor contact inside it will kill the engine as well

JRonascag

Threads
Great advice. Will check those items. Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also have a look at the wires to the fuel solenoid on the carb, if they short or the ground is loose then you get a similar sort of symptoms.

mcdonell

Threads
Something else to consider, I believe the OSHA safety switches on the 10 year old Scag pass along 12 volts when they are satisfied. A bad safety switch could kill the 12 volts to the ignition module and would stop the motor. Such a loose or bad connection could also cause heat. I would look at the safety switches to see if any indicate heat issue. You could also feel the switches for heat immediately after the motor stops.