Hard to start 5.5 HP mower - on billygoat walk behind leaf pickup

blakeas

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Hard to start 5.5 HP mower - on billygoat walk behind leaf pickup
I have an older 5.5 HP billy goat leaf pickup machine. Since it is old, I put in a new carb, new spark plug and new air filter. The only way I can get it to start and run if I spray starting fluid in the intake. once it starts it runs just fine. However, as soon as I turn it off and try to start it it will not start - even when I stop and then try and start it again right away. What do I do now? the engine is getting fuel since it is running. What else should I change out?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What's the engine model number?
Did you replace the carburetor because of this issue? Or did it start after the new carb?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an older 5.5 HP billy goat leaf pickup machine. Since it is old, I put in a new carb, new spark plug and new air filter. The only way I can get it to start and run if I spray starting fluid in the intake. once it starts it runs just fine. However, as soon as I turn it off and try to start it it will not start - even when I stop and then try and start it again right away. What do I do now? the engine is getting fuel since it is running. What else should I change out?

If it will start with starting fluid and won't without, it's a carburetor issue.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
post all numbers from your engine so we can try to help you out.