Odd "hissing" nosie coming from mower

TKH12

Threads
Folks:

If you watch this clip I uploaded you will hear a hissing sound when the blade is not engaged. When blade runs it is much harder to hear. It is almost as if a bearing from the crank to the drive line is dry....if you will. The engine has normal compression sounds, but the motor is drowned out by this rushing sound. I fear I may have done something wrong to cause this.

Quick backstory -

I replaced the drive belt and blades with OEM items. Also replaced the carburetor and gaskets as my OEM carburetor was leaking fuel. In fact, it leaked fuel into the piston at sitting as when I would start it it would blow fuel out the exhaust, and a little oil. I change the oil after replacing the carb and all those issues are gone. It has new, clean oil and at the right level. However, it has this odd sound.

I mowed today with it and all went well. I just worry that either I did something wrong in assembly or perhaps worse there is a larger engine issue. I do recall that I over filled it with oil and ran it a few cycles that way. I since drained it but do wonder if all of this could be causing an issue with the OHC and oil that is pumped to the OHC. This noise isn't as if it has noisy lifter, but to be honest, I'm familiar with Honda car engines and over head cams, etc. I don't really know how this cam system works nor if it even gets oil to the head via a tube/conduit.

Any thoughts what would cause this noise? It starts on 1st pull, doesn't knock, has normal idle. Just worried about that sound.

By the way, engine model is the GCV160A0 and this is a Harmony HRR2167VXA.

LINK to video --> https://youtu.be/gxxwJMwAX2o

Briantii

Threads
Folks:

If you watch this clip I uploaded you will hear a hissing sound when the blade is not engaged. When blade runs it is much harder to hear. It is almost as if a bearing from the crank to the drive line is dry....if you will. The engine has normal compression sounds, but the motor is drowned out by this rushing sound. I fear I may have done something wrong to cause this.

Quick backstory -

I replaced the drive belt and blades with OEM items. Also replaced the carburetor and gaskets as my OEM carburetor was leaking fuel. In fact, it leaked fuel into the piston at sitting as when I would start it it would blow fuel out the exhaust, and a little oil. I change the oil after replacing the carb and all those issues are gone. It has new, clean oil and at the right level. However, it has this odd sound.

I mowed today with it and all went well. I just worry that either I did something wrong in assembly or perhaps worse there is a larger engine issue. I do recall that I over filled it with oil and ran it a few cycles that way. I since drained it but do wonder if all of this could be causing an issue with the OHC and oil that is pumped to the OHC. This noise isn't as if it has noisy lifter, but to be honest, I'm familiar with Honda car engines and over head cams, etc. I don't really know how this cam system works nor if it even gets oil to the head via a tube/conduit.

Any thoughts what would cause this noise? It starts on 1st pull, doesn't knock, has normal idle. Just worried about that sound.

By the way, engine model is the GCV160A0 and this is a Harmony HRR2167VXA.

LINK to video --> https://youtu.be/gxxwJMwAX2o

It’s the bearings in your blade brake clutch. If you have a press or decent vice it’s not hard to replace them. It helps if you add some heat for removal. Then just push the new ones in. You probably have two bearings. I replaced both of mine at the same time as neither were perfect.

TKH12

Threads
Thanks for the comment. The sound would be more akin to a bearing and not something amiss in the motor...so thanks for your thought since that makes sense to me. Do you or anyone else have a diagram for this mower? Specifically around that clutch? I'm comfortable replacing them, just would like a diagram since when I replaced the mower blades there is some chance I didn't assemble correctly. If I'm going to replace the bearings, I want to ensure I put things in proper order--and I would be able to see just which bearings to buy for replacement.

Thanks!

Briantii

Threads
Thanks for the comment. The sound would be more akin to a bearing and not something amiss in the motor...so thanks for your thought since that makes sense to me. Do you or anyone else have a diagram for this mower? Specifically around that clutch? I'm comfortable replacing them, just would like a diagram since when I replaced the mower blades there is some chance I didn't assemble correctly. If I'm going to replace the bearings, I want to ensure I put things in proper order--and I would be able to see just which bearings to buy for replacement.

Thanks!

https://peparts.honda.com/powerequipment#/browse/lm/hrr/hrr216/HRR216K7-VXAA

In the rotary blade diagram it’s part 20 and 21. 21 is probably the one that’s bad if it goes away when you engage the blade... but it maybe hard to hear if the blade is engaged. On mine 21 was in far worse shape than 20. I replaced both bearings, just because they seemed worn. 21 was trashed but not making noise yet. 20 was serviceable but not perfect.

When you take it apart there are only a few pieces to it. You can probably fine a YouTube video that covers it. If you get stuck feel free to ask with pictures and I can explain it. It’s really pretty simple once you see it. After the blade comes off it’s one bolt and a spring. The single bolt on the crank is easiest with an impact since the crank wants to spin. Then you have a pressure plate spring in the middle with the friction material too.

Remember to tip the mower carb side up and disconnect the spark plug.

TKH12

Threads
Check out this video. Yours if VERY similar to this one if not identical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJy88lZE6Ro

Thanks for these 3 links. I will dig into details today. After watching this one, I do wonder if my clutch spring was installed upside down. Of course, that would be BY ME...since I did the work. Would it still run normally but would have that hissing sound if the clutch spring was in backwards?

What I think I'll do is remove the blade and the clutch items, roll it back over, plug spark plug back in, turn on the fuel and start it up. I should have NO hissing sound since with that idea I would simply just have the engine running and nothing attached to the drive line. Correct?

Briantii

Threads
Thanks for these 3 links. I will dig into details today. After watching this one, I do wonder if my clutch spring was installed upside down. Of course, that would be BY ME...since I did the work. Would it still run normally but would have that hissing sound if the clutch spring was in backwards?

What I think I'll do is remove the blade and the clutch items, roll it back over, plug spark plug back in, turn on the fuel and start it up. I should have NO hissing sound since with that idea I would simply just have the engine running and nothing attached to the drive line. Correct?

I guess in theory that should be fine... but really you’re going to pull it apart and find that the bearing feels like junk and know you found the issue anyway. I don’t know what would happen if you put it together backwards. Don’t think I’ve done that.

dougand3

Threads

W/O blade and clutch assy, it may be REAL hard to pull start. The flywheel is probably light AL. The weight of the blade and clutch act as a flywheel to move past the compression stroke.

OldNick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry. I HAVE to say this. Not a snake caught up in the blades? :D